Unable to create a spanned volume for Windows 8.1

DefiantPanda

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
I am trying to follow this article, specifically option two which details how to create a spanned volume:

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/02/how-to-combine-multiple-hard-drives-into-one-volume/

I have Windows 8 installed on a 240 GB SSD but I am nearly out of space. I bought another 240 GB SSD and hooked it up. I ran diskmgmt.msc and it asked me to format the disk so I selected GPT, I think it was already selected. Then it listed the disks like this:

Disk 0 Basic 223.45 Unallocated
Disk 1 Basic 200mb Healthy Active GPT Partition
SSD (C:) 223.37 GB NTFS Healthy (System, Boot, Pagefile, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

According to the article all I have to do is right-click the unallocated area and an option to create a spanned volume will appear. The option, however, is greyed out.

I looked up basic vs dynamic disks and I thought maybe they needed to be dynamic so I was able to create a dynamic disk out of Disk 0 but when I try for Disk 1 it tells there isn't enough space to do so.

If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it as I have no idea how to do this and I'm nearly out of space...

Solution
also you cannot span the windows boot partition, which looks like what you are trying to do.

honestly the best way is just create a basic disk on your new drive and move your personal files over to it, or uninstall and reinstall some of your programs to the new drive to split up the disk usage.
are you running windows "home"? if so you cannot create dynamic disk such as raid or spanning

also you should have your disk pluged in the other way. your boot drive should be pluged into the lower port number. as you show it your two hard drives plugs on the motherboard should be swaped around.

also you cannot span the windows boot partition, which looks like what you are trying to do.

honestly the best way is just create a basic disk on your new drive and move your personal files over to it, or uninstall and reinstall some of your programs to the new drive to split up the disk usage.

Solution