Unable to create folder

mubeen

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
buddy, i am having probulem in my disk its showing error

when iam trying to create a new folder its showing as unable to create new folder ' new folder' ( the drive cannot find the sector requested).

please send me the solution for these .....

i am using windows xp sp2 , and my drive is with FAT32 PARTITION.

bye

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
wow still waiting for a reply after one whole minute, patience is a virtue

But back tot he point I would start with running checkdisk. Right click the drive in my computer and select properties then go to tools select error checking make sure you select fix errors and scan surface while your in there. Windows will then tell you you can't do that until you reboot so reboot and let it do it's thing

btw it is gong to take a while best to set it and go to bed. If that doesn't work come back and we will try something else

mubeen

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
thanks for the information. but i did once , but i am gonna try for one more time and i will let u know..

thanks for the information once again

mubeen

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
i did as you said but still iam unable to create a new folder, the same error the drive cannot find the secotr requested.

You probably need to reinstall Windows XP.

You hard drive may be dying also. If you have an older drive of 80GB or less I'd definitely replace it with something like the Western Digital 640GB or 1TB Black.

If you reinstall Windows XP do this:

1) Choose FULL format during installation (quick does not read/write entire drive to build a bad sector table)

2) Install as NTFS, and not FAT32

3) Install the latest drivers for your motherboard, audio, video etc.

4) Go to Windows/Microsoft updates and get all the non-optional updates

I doubt the following will work but you can try:
1) convert to NTFS (google for how)
2) Run CHKDISK

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
FAT has a limit on the number of files/folders (253 if I remember right) in the root, there is also a limit on the total path length, where are you trying to create the folder.