Question Unable to delete system files on the hard drive.

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Hi,

My old PC has two storages SSD (My Windows 10 OS is installed ) and Hard Drive ehich I try to clean up and to secure wipe off with ERASER tool. However I do not get permission to do so. There are folders on Hard Drive such as :
Program files
Program files ( x86)
Windows
Windows.old

At first when I go to Properties>security > Advanced settings I change it to full control. Owner is Administrator. Then start deletion and this pops up:
View: https://imgur.com/a/EuegcCW

Basically I am going in circles without any progress.

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
The way to do that is not to delete individual files or folder, but rather wipe the whole drive.
If there is data on it you want, you copy that data elsewhere first.

Then, the clean function in the commandline tool diskpart.
Clean the whole drive at once.

The way to do that is not to delete individual files or folder, but rather wipe the whole drive.
If there is data on it you want, you copy that data elsewhere first.

Then, the clean function in the commandline tool diskpart.
Clean the whole drive at once.

What if his SSD OS install placed system files on the HDD because the HDD was plugged at the same time of the OS install and wiping the drive would make his OS unbootable. You can see that often when someone install Windows on a SSD when other drives are plugged too.

USAFRet

Titan
What if his SSD OS install placed system files on the HDD because the HDD was plugged at the same time of the OS install and wiping the drive would make his OS unbootable. You can see that often when someone install Windows on a SSD when other drives are plugged too.
That is why you test first.

If this is a brand new install and that happened, then redo the install, with only the SD connected.
Then reconnect and wipe all other drives.

Do it right the first time.

If this is a brand new install and that happened, then redo the install, with only the SD connected.

I was just stating that since you did not mention this and if he wipes his HDD he will have a surprise if that happens. Just wanted to warn him before he does. To be ready to do a clean install with only his SSD plugged.

Reactions: tomachas

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014

As far as I remember when I bought SSD I reinstalled Windows and located them on SSD. HDrive contains old windows installs. I will try to boot with disconnected HDrive first next time. Thanks!

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Hi all,

Good news .I have disconnected HDrive and computer booted. I also looked at disk management boot is on the C disk. I have deleted everything on D and E now. I was allowed to do it on Disk Managament though. I double checked disk 1 ( HDrive) on cmp all is gone .

My next question would be how I proceed with all that is on C disk including partitions?

Meanwhile running ERASER program on deleted drive. ( 2 passes) . Will see how long it takes.

Thanks

View: https://imgur.com/a/TLUYv45

Last edited: