[SOLVED] Unable to detect nvme ssd after randomly shutting down.

Jul 28, 2021
So i was watching twitch on my browser and then randomly my computer shut down. Every time i restarted it would put me into the bios and my m.2 ssd would not show up. I had this issue a few times before over the last 2 days and the way i would fix it is by unplugging my extra hdd that i had repurposed from an old linux based laptop. I would replug it and it would boot straight back in on my ssd. This time however no matter what i tried i could not get it to become recognised, i tried things like replugging the m.2 and resetting cmos but nothing worked. I checked my ssds health yesterday and it was at 83%. Im running the latest bios version on my b450 gaming plus,
Crucial P1 1tb,
On windows 11 dev build.
Thank you to anyone that can help.

Solution
As the board only comes with a single M.2 slot, alas, you might have to swap it to know for sure if it is the actual NVME SSD failing...(certainly preferable /easier than a new mainboard)

If you reset the BIOS, make sure the NVME slot is enabled in the BIOS settings, although you'd think it would default to as such in the BIOS....

(As the PCI-e x4 lanes are tied straight to the CPU, you might also carefully try a CPU reseat, being VERY careful not to rip the CPU out of it's socket bending pins in the process when removing the cooler, a too-common occurrence for many)
Jul 28, 2021
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
was it working on windows 10?
Ryzen 7 1700, corsair vengeance lpx 16gb 3200mhz, msi b450 gaming plus, powercolor rx 5700 xt red devil, crucial P1 1tb, evga 650w G+. I do recall it happening once or twice on windows 10 over the span of a year, on windows 11 i had no issues until windows update downloaded a display driver that was bugged and colided with my existing gpu driver and i started getting crashing issues then, i had to use ddu and clean install drivers, during this time my pc crashed a good few times, not blue screen but froze up and restarted by itself and would go to bios and show i had no ssd plugged in, i would replug my extra hdd and it would work but although i fixed the driver issue, today it froze up and i wasnt able to make the drive re appear. It would just be a long black screen until it eventually went into the bios. Thanks.

As the board only comes with a single M.2 slot, alas, you might have to swap it to know for sure if it is the actual NVME SSD failing...(certainly preferable /easier than a new mainboard)

If you reset the BIOS, make sure the NVME slot is enabled in the BIOS settings, although you'd think it would default to as such in the BIOS....

(As the PCI-e x4 lanes are tied straight to the CPU, you might also carefully try a CPU reseat, being VERY careful not to rip the CPU out of it's socket bending pins in the process when removing the cooler, a too-common occurrence for many)

Solution
Jul 28, 2021

Ive tried everything imaginable and nothing seems to make it become recognised, the nvme still heats up (if that means anything) but i find it strange that replugging my hdd would make the ssd appear in the past, it worked without fail about 8 times, but now it just stopped working and wont recognise no matter what, still dont know if it is a windows 11 issue or the ssd is fried.