[SOLVED] Unable To Do A Factory Reset

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Greetings,

I have recently disassembled my Toshiba Satellite c650-11x. I cleaned it and I changed the thermal paste.
It's been 10 years since I bought the laptop and pretty much it was never really reinstalled or cleaned from all the random software, installed on it. So I wanted to do a factory reset to clean the system and start fresh.

It currently has Windows 7 Ultimate, though it came with Windows 7 Home Premium ( back then when I had the laptop for about 2-3 months, a friend of mine tried to move some of the memory from C to D drive, on my request, but something happened to the windows, while he was trying to move some memory to D drive and the Windows went to blue screen, so he had to take and reinstall it and he had installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it.

I want to reset to factory condition and then buy a license for Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, as I just want to completely wipe and clean the system from all the random cluster I had installed on it during the years ( most of the times not really knowing If I really need the software and why I shouldn't download the software from the first site that comes in the google search ).

So, I tried to do a factory reset, but it asks me for an installation disc and I don't have one. I only have the license code for Windows 7 Home Premium, that is on a sticker on the laptop.

I will appreciated any help on how to do a factory reset to completely clean my laptop's system and reinstall Windows.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
After I tried couple of things like:

1. Running media creation tool as administrator
2. Checking if my language corresponds to my region
3. disabling windows defender
4. Deleting $WINDOWS.~BT and $WINDOWS.~WS
5. Making sure the following are set as Automatic Startup:
Windows Update
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Server
Workstation
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules

So, after none of the above worked I contacted Microsoft support.

After asking couple of questions about my computer they told me to try and download ( or copy paste, if I already have it downloaded ) the media creation tool to the usb I am going to use for the windows 10 download, and run...

USAFRet

Titan
Now is the time to move to Windows 10. Win 7 only has another 6 months of life support left.
Assuming the current Win 7 (whichever) is fully valid and activated, you can probably do it for free.

We can go into details if you wish.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Now is the time to move to Windows 10. Win 7 only has another 6 months of life support left.
Assuming the current Win 7 (whichever) is fully valid and activated, you can probably do it for free.

We can go into details if you wish.
I did think of getting Windows 10 for my laptop, but I decided not to, because my desktop ( which you helped me with building ) is using a bit over 2gb of its 8gb ram ( and that is while I'm doing anything other than browsing ).

So if I install Windows 10 on my pretty old laptop, that barely has 3gb ram I don't know how I am going to be able to use it, without the laptop having problems with the speed of loading programs or any other issues, caused by having 70% of it's ram being used by the OS and the programs it comes with.

I have no idea if the Windows 7 Ultimate is licensed or not and I have no contact with the person, who installed it.

USAFRet

Titan
The amount of RAM being used at idle is not a fixed amount.
I have Win 10 systems using 1.2GB out of 2GB, up to 6.6GB out of 32GB at idle.
It adjusts as resources dictate.

Yours having 3GB RAM is problematic for both Win 7 and Win 10.
Win 10 won't run any slower than your existing Win 7.

I'd postulate that an eventual full clean install of Win 10 will run better than your ancient Win 7 Ultimate of unknown origin.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
The amount of RAM being used at idle is not a fixed amount.
I have Win 10 systems using 1.2GB out of 2GB, up to 6.6GB out of 32GB at idle.
It adjusts as resources dictate.

Yours having 3GB RAM is problematic for both Win 7 and Win 10.
Win 10 won't run any slower than your existing Win 7.

I'd postulate that an eventual full clean install of Win 10 will run better than your ancient Win 7 Ultimate of unknown origin.
I have checked couple of times the desktop and every time it says I have 5.9gb usable ram, out of 8gb. And all those times I have just the browser open and the background processes of the OS. I really don't have anything else open, other than Chrome. I haven't tested how much additional ram it would use if another program is open or while I am playing games.

As for the laptop - it has a lot more programs ( but with Windows 7 ) than the desktop and still using much less ram ( thankfully ). Though its general performance is so bad that, for example even Team Fortress 2 is running at 3-15 fps, so you can imagine what kind of gameplay is that.
And the desktop, other than the OS programs has just steam, potplayer, paintnet and utorrent, but none of them is running all the time.

Anyways, I'm just trying to give as much information from what I've observed on both computers. Though my observations could be wrong.
And to be honest I have no problem with Windows 10, as long as it doesn't slow down the laptop, because it's the laptop I am going to use most of the time and leave the desktop for games etc.

Maybe later on I could try upgrading the laptop's ram and processor, if that's possible and for a reasonable price.

So I definitely want to clean my laptop from all the cluster during the years and install a licensed windows ( whether that be Windows 7 or 10 ).

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
RAM upgrade, possibly.
CPU, almost certainly not.

Win 10 will run on the 3GB, no worse than the Win 7.
And Win 7 falls off life support Jan 2020. 6 months.

Back up all your personal data. Passwords, application install files, browser settings, etc, etc etc
Do an inplace Upgrade to Win 10. Coming from Win 7 U, this will result in Win 10 Pro.
Assuming that finishes and is fully activated, then you do a full wipe and reinstall of everything.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
RAM upgrade, possibly.
CPU, almost certainly not.

Win 10 will run on the 3GB, no worse than the Win 7.
And Win 7 falls off life support Jan 2020. 6 months.

Back up all your personal data. Passwords, application install files, browser settings, etc, etc etc
Do an inplace Upgrade to Win 10. Coming from Win 7 U, this will result in Win 10 Pro.
Assuming that finishes and is fully activated, then you do a full wipe and reinstall of everything.
I already did a back up of everything I want to keep form the laptop.

So I can't just wipe everything and then install Windows 10?

As I mentioned my laptop originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium and I do have the license key for it ( but no installation disc ), but the laptop currently has Windows 7 Ultimate.

USAFRet

Titan
I already did a back up of everything I want to keep form the laptop.

So I can't just wipe everything and then install Windows 10?

As I mentioned my laptop originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium and I do have the license key for it ( but no installation disc ), but the laptop currently has Windows 7 Ultimate.
A full wipe and then reinstall of of Win 10 may not result in an activated Win 10.
An Upgrade from the current Win 7 to Win 10 probably will.
Then, a full wipe and reinstall of 10, to start with a clean system.

Yes, you're doing it twice.
But this is the most likely way to ensure the end result is an activated Win 10.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
A full wipe and then reinstall of of Win 10 may not result in an activated Win 10.
An Upgrade from the current Win 7 to Win 10 probably will.
Then, a full wipe and reinstall of 10, to start with a clean system.

Yes, you're doing it twice.
But this is the most likely way to ensure the end result is an activated Win 10.
That won't cause any problems?

Also how to do all that process of upgrading and then cleaning the system and then reinstalling Windows 10?

USAFRet

Titan
Create a Win 10 bootable USB. Here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot from that, and it should give you the option to Upgrade.
If so, do that.
This results in a (hopefully) fully activated Win 10.

Then....a full wipe and reinstall.
Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to fully wiping all current partitions, and starting with a blank drive.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Create a Win 10 bootable USB. Here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot from that, and it should give you the option to Upgrade.
If so, do that.
This results in a (hopefully) fully activated Win 10.

Then....a full wipe and reinstall.
Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to fully wiping all current partitions, and starting with a blank drive.
Can I use the same Windows 10 license on both computers - the desktop and the laptop. Or I have to buy a new one for the laptop?

If not, is it possible to install the free version of Windows 10, wipe everything and reinstall windows 10 once again, but activate a license later on?

When trying to run the media creation tool it shows the following error: ''There was a problem starting Setup. Close the tool, restart your PC, and then try running the tool again.''
I did restart the PC and it showed the same.

So, from what I understand I boot and install the Windows 10 ''on top'' of the Windows 7, so to speak. Then after I install it I format all drives and basically wipe everything along with the freshly installed Windows 10. Then I boot from the USB once again and install Windows 10 again.

So do I have to format everything after installing Windows 10 ( which means I will basically wipe it, along everything else left from the old system ) and then use the usb again to install Windows 10?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
No, you can't use the same license on the 2 systems.
Each system has its own license currently.

If the MediaCreation tool fails at even running to make the USB, you have other issues. Major issues.

That link is to do a full clean install.
When you get that MCT running, and after the USB is created...you boot from that USB. It should give you the option to Upgrade the current system.

After that is done and Win 10 is all activated...this is when you boot from that, and do a full wipe and reinstall.

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
No, you can't use the same license on the 2 systems.
Each system has its own license currently.

If the MediaCreation tool fails at even running to make the USB, you have other issues. Major issues.

That link is to do a full clean install.
When you get that MCT running, and after the USB is created...you boot from that USB. It should give you the option to Upgrade the current system.

After that is done and Win 10 is all activated...this is when you boot from that, and do a full wipe and reinstall.
I was editing my last post, so I assume at the time you were replying it was to the unedited version.

I am trying to run the media creation tool on the desktop, as I have internet on it. It shows that message, after I try to run the media creation tool. The tool doesn't even start

kubrat

Reputable
May 8, 2019
After I tried couple of things like:

1. Running media creation tool as administrator
2. Checking if my language corresponds to my region
3. disabling windows defender
4. Deleting $WINDOWS.~BT and $WINDOWS.~WS
5. Making sure the following are set as Automatic Startup:
Windows Update
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Server
Workstation
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules

So, after none of the above worked I contacted Microsoft support.

After asking couple of questions about my computer they told me to try and download ( or copy paste, if I already have it downloaded ) the media creation tool to the usb I am going to use for the windows 10 download, and run the media creation tool from there. And it worked just fine. So, the problem is not really fixed, as I can't run the tool from my desktop, but at least I managed to download windows 10.

So for anyone with the same problem of getting error message while trying to run the media creation tool, just download the tool to the usb you want to use for the windows 10 download. You can start the media creation tool from there and start your download.

Solution