Question Unable to enter bios but can still boot into OS

Matt4821

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
Hello All, first off i am unsure as to if i have placed this in the correct thread but my problem is that ever since i upgraded my GPU from a GTX 960 to an RX 570, i can still enter windows and run games and other programs with no issues, if i try to enter bios on boot, i get a black screen and it will not enter the bios no matter how long i wait. I have tried booting into the bios without the GPU installed which nets the same result.
My system specs if relevant:
MOBO: Dell 06D7TR
CPU: I5-2500
GPU: RX 570 4GB
RAM: 8GB

If I understand the OP, it was after he upgraded from the GTX 960 to the RX 570 that the trouble started. The 570 does draw about 50 watts more than the 960, so questioning the PSU is valid.

Can you get into BIOS if you reinstall the the 570 (assuming you still have it)?
You say you can't get into BIOS with no graphics card installed. In this configuration I assume you are using the VGA or HDMI port on the motherboard. Are you using any kind of adapter (HDMI to DVI or ??)?
With no graphics card, can you get into Windows? Have you updated to the latest intel drivers (there is a rumor that some Intel driver updates also update firmware for onboard GPUs)?
Have you tried resetting your BIOS via an onboard jumper or pulling the battery (the computer should be unplugged when you pull the battery or your not really doing anything)?

Let us know.

Matt4821

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
If I understand the OP, it was after he upgraded from the GTX 960 to the RX 570 that the trouble started. The 570 does draw about 50 watts more than the 960, so questioning the PSU is valid.

Can you get into BIOS if you reinstall the the 570 (assuming you still have it)?
You say you can't get into BIOS with no graphics card installed. In this configuration I assume you are using the VGA or HDMI port on the motherboard. Are you using any kind of adapter (HDMI to DVI or ??)?
With no graphics card, can you get into Windows? Have you updated to the latest intel drivers (there is a rumor that some Intel driver updates also update firmware for onboard GPUs)?
Have you tried resetting your BIOS via an onboard jumper or pulling the battery (the computer should be unplugged when you pull the battery or your not really doing anything)?

Let us know.
Given how you're working with an i5-2500, you might want to see if you can get into BIOS without a discrete GPU populating the PCIe slot. Speaking of slots, what is the make and model of your PSU and how old is it?
My PSU is EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, i am unsure of the exact model as it is around. I havw tried to boot into the bios without the GPU installed to which i get the same result however i can still enter windows just fine. My motherboard is connected via VGA with no adapters. After work today i shall try removing the battery to reset.

Matt4821

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
Before you try removing the battery, boot into windows with no GPU installed and update the intel video drivers. Then try to access BIOS again. If that fails to work, then try removing the battery.
Removing the battery, leaving it for around 5-10min then putting back in allowed me to enter the bios, went into windows and then the pc shut down. I was careful when removing the battery, using non conductive screwdriver. PC does not have the GPU, could this be the powet supply finally giving up or a motherboard issue

The PC shutdown after loading Windows or while loading? It could be a lot of things; potentially a hardware issue (like power or heat) or software (like corrupt driver).
  1. Start the computer and enter BIOS ... walk away for 10-15 minutes ... did it crash? If yes, then hardware is your issue.
  2. Start the computer ... hit F8 as it starts ... select start in safe mode ... does it crash? If no, then you probably have a corrupt driver.

Matt4821

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
The PC shutdown after loading Windows or while loading? It could be a lot of things; potentially a hardware issue (like power or heat) or software (like corrupt driver).
  1. Start the computer and enter BIOS ... walk away for 10-15 minutes ... did it crash? If yes, then hardware is your issue.
  2. Start the computer ... hit F8 as it starts ... select start in safe mode ... does it crash? If no, then you probably have a corrupt driver.
Power button blinks am amber colour, no reaction from the pc at all, managed to get hold of an old 265w psu and it works just fine, no crashing or any issues at all. Unfortunatly i require my pc for other uses than gaming and the 265w wont cut it so i need to get a new psu asap, within a budget of £40-50. Is the corsair VS series worth getting, heard mixed reviews but non are very recent.

As long as you don't install a graphics card, the 265W will hold you.

The VS is a Tier 5/6 PSU. As tier number goes up, quality goes down. A lower quality PSU still works, it's just less reliable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QUIET-System-Power-Supply-Unit/dp/B079KBPXZJ ... new to the market ... not a lot of reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic-S...d-Supply-80PLUS-High-Efficiency/dp/B00390P1NO ... older model, but solid ... a bit over your price range.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020102-UK-CX550M-Bronze-Certified/dp/B01C3FFLZ8 ... a bit more over, but a great PSU for the money.

Just a couple ideas ... maybe you can find them for less from another retailer.