Unable to execute file in temporary directory setup aborted

Thangno

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Well it might be late but if u hasn't solved it yet here is what I did.

I found below Guideline somewhere

• Create a folder name "Temp" under C:\ [This step is important, the folder has to exist.]
• Right click the Computer in Start menu and select Properties
• Click Advanced System Setting
• In System Properties windows, click Advanced tab
• Click Environment Variables button
• Under User variables list, double click TMP
• Change Variable value: from "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp" to "C:\Temp"
• Try to install the program

I did as above Guideline but didn't work. Then I tried this

1. Right click on a file
2. Click "Run as Administrator"

And it worked!
That simple it is!

unicorn pants

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014

This worked perfectly and fixed other errors in my computer that I thought were unrelated!

sparrowfox

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
I made an account here just to say THANK YOU! This is the only place that I have found a solution that works. I still can't access Windows\Temp, but I have redirected and am able to install programs that were giving me errors.

Thank you so much!

S_F

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014

Worked perfectly!! Thank you!

Vigan22

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015

wow dude thank you to much . i found the fix for only 1 minute . this never happened in my life before xD

tuanwow

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015

I want to give you a big Thanks! I have thought this error couldn't be fixed because I've been searching for the last 2 days a solution and there is you. Thank you, kind sir!

stofesexpandyl

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

I saw tis solution on youtube but it did`nt work for me. Is there someone out there with another solution??
(Yes, i`ve tried permissions, shut down antivirus, etc etc. nothing works! And run as admin of course)

Frank_97

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
In Windows 10 this problem gets even worse. Almost every Windows Update either resets the environment variable or resets the permissions for the designated TEMP directory. As a result installations fail and/or portable apps won't run properly.
To eliminate having to change the directory permissions every time this happens I run a simple batch file as a scheduled task at logon, which modifies the permission for "Everyone" from "Read-Only" to "Modify".

Batch command:
icacls "%USERPROFILE%\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP" /grant EVERYONE:M /inheritance:r

Hope this helps.