Question Unable to figure out ASRock Taichi Z490 boot issues

Jun 30, 2020
Hello everyone,

I've been building a brand new computer and went to install Windows 10 but the license did not carry over correctly from my USB media. It did not work so I went ahead and tried to get a fresh Windows 7 install in so I could get it running then would do an upgrade directly to Windows 10 so that it would carry the digital license over correctly rather than me installing Windows 10 off of a USB media. When I got to the Windows 7 install screen, none of my peripherals (keyboard, mouse, etc.) were working. I figured I could adjust some settings in BIOS (disabled Legacy USB and some kind of "third party USB controller" or something along those lines) and it made it so none of my computer parts could be detected. At this point, I can't even get to the BIOS screen so I went ahead and unplugged everything and hit the CMOS Reset button. I went to plug everything back in and start the computer back up. I got to the black and white screen that tells me that the CMOS settings have been reset to default but now there's absolutely no power to any of the slots on the motherboard. Everything else with dedicated power from the power supply (like the RGB fans, GPU, and monitors) works but I can't even get the keyboard to power on at any phase now and Dr. Debug is flashing A2 (not detecting a boot drive). It's like the connection from the motherboard has completely disconnected. What can I do to fix this? I'm just trying to get my computer running again, all the parts are brand new and it seems everything I've tested ties back to the motherboard failing because it's not connecting with anything.

Also, it's been a little over a month since I got this motherboard so I can not RMA this to Newegg.

Motherboard Model Name: Z490 Taichi
CPU/Processor: Intel i7-10700K 3.8Mhz
Memory: 64GB (Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 16GB x 4)
Video Card: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2070 Super Gaming X
Operating System: N/A
Hard Drive: Crucial MX500 500GB, Western Digital SN750 1TB NVMe

Hello everyone,

I've been building a brand new computer and went to install Windows 10 but the license did not carry over correctly from my USB media. It did not work so I went ahead and tried to get a fresh Windows 7 install in so I could get it running then would do an upgrade directly to Windows 10 so that it would carry the digital license over correctly rather than me installing Windows 10 off of a USB media. When I got to the Windows 7 install screen, none of my peripherals (keyboard, mouse, etc.) were working. I figured I could adjust some settings in BIOS (disabled Legacy USB and some kind of "third party USB controller" or something along those lines) and it made it so none of my computer parts could be detected. At this point, I can't even get to the BIOS screen so I went ahead and unplugged everything and hit the CMOS Reset button. I went to plug everything back in and start the computer back up. I got to the black and white screen that tells me that the CMOS settings have been reset to default but now there's absolutely no power to any of the slots on the motherboard. Everything else with dedicated power from the power supply (like the RGB fans, GPU, and monitors) works but I can't even get the keyboard to power on at any phase now and Dr. Debug is flashing A2 (not detecting a boot drive). It's like the connection from the motherboard has completely disconnected. What can I do to fix this? I'm just trying to get my computer running again, all the parts are brand new and it seems everything I've tested ties back to the motherboard failing because it's not connecting with anything.

Also, it's been a little over a month since I got this motherboard so I can not RMA this to Newegg.

Motherboard Model Name: Z490 Taichi
CPU/Processor: Intel i7-10700K 3.8Mhz
Memory: 64GB (Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 16GB x 4)
Video Card: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2070 Super Gaming X
Operating System: N/A
Hard Drive: Crucial MX500 500GB, Western Digital SN750 1TB NVMe
The old Windows 7 isn't compatible with such new hardware. Only Win 10 is.