[SOLVED] UNABLE TO FORMAT HDD - WIN10 & XP

Jul 29, 2021
I've been trying for days to try and format 2TB and a 4TB SATA drives using a Sabrent docking station to a laptop running WIN10 and the 2TB to a Desktop running XP - both fail Seagate have told me to return their 4TB which I am in the process of doing. The other (2TB) I've tried connecting to the Motherboard and via the Sabrent via USB - still takes about 1 hour to format 1% then crashes after about 4 hours (4%). I have also tried Diskpart but unable to get it to format. EaseUS want $160 to solve it remotely using windows commands !!! which I declined.

I have lots of Errors in Event Viewer in WIN10 - Error 154 The IO operation at logical block address 0xe8e07fff for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000022e) failed due to a hardware error.

The Sabrent docking station works fine with all of my other drives, SATA and SSD's

Anyone got any ideas?

Solution
Hi
New hard drives have to be initialized before you can partition them- this can be done over USB or “direct” SATA connections. you can not use the docking station.

Winxp has a HDD size limit so it can not format 4TB drive ( which I think you know)

the 2Tb drive can formatted using winxp but you have to use an internal cable or a USB cable like this...

Dave8671

Distinguished
Hi
New hard drives have to be initialized before you can partition them- this can be done over USB or “direct” SATA connections. you can not use the docking station.

Winxp has a HDD size limit so it can not format 4TB drive ( which I think you know)

the 2Tb drive can formatted using winxp but you have to use an internal cable or a USB cable like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CRLSVL...0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==#customerReviews

Sorry the tools for using code are disabled for some reason.

For both drives use Windows Disk Management to format both which is on windows as well.

In windows 10 right click the menu select disk management than you will see drives listed here.

In XP look under Administrative Tools in the control panel

From the open Control Panel window, select System, choose the Hardware tab, and then use the Device Manager button.

On the drives you want to format click on each drive partition and delete it than right click each one and format them as you want.

Solution
Jul 29, 2021
Hi

the 2Tb drive can formatted using winxp but you have to use an internal cable or a USB cable like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CRLSVL...0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==#customerReviews

Sorry the tools for using code are disabled for some reason.

For both drives use Windows Disk Management to format both which is on windows as well.

In windows 10 right click the menu select disk management than you will see drives listed here.

In XP look under Administrative Tools in the control panel

From the open Control Panel window, select System, choose the Hardware tab, and then use the Device Manager button.

On the drives you want to format click on each drive partition and delete it than right click each one and format them as you want.

Tried all variations within Disk Management (XP) and WIN10, it just hangs and takes hours to come back with error messages - I've tried using USB 2.0 and 3.0 plus connecting directly to a SATA connection on the motherboard with the 2TB drive - I partitioned 48.8GB and started formatting that - its taken 4 hours so far and completed about 10GB

Tried both drives on the WIN 10 machine with the same problem - WIN 10 reports a hardware failure under Event Viewer The IO operation at logical block address 0x5c3a30 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000022e) failed due to a hardware error. - I can't believe a new drive 4TB and another previously used drive 2TB have the same problem, when connecting via a Sabrent Docking station and technical support tell me it can be fixed for $160 using windows commands. Plus, all other SATA drives and SSD's plus USB drives work fine. I also tried Diskpart which took hours and then failed in the same manner.

Jul 29, 2021
Hi Dave8671

I appreciate the response. The 4TB is currently on its way back to Seagate (as their tech support was unable to help with the issue re their product (4TB drive)) they advised me to return it.

The 2TB is in the docking station, I also had it connected to the motherboard and was not able to format it - I partitioned it with 50GB and then tried to format it. Assigned Drive E, Layout Partition, Type is Basic, BLANK under File System, Status is Healthy (Active), Capacity is 48.83GB Free Space is 48.83GB 100% Free, Fault Tolerance No, Overhead 0%

4.5 hours formatting and its done about 20% maybe.

You said that I am not able to use the docking station to Initialise the disk, I had same problem when connected directly to the motherboard - tried both SATA slots.

I tried to contact Sabrent to ask if they know or can confirm what you suggested, however for some reason I cannot Register with them - tried about 8 hours ago - but situation still the same with their website.

I don't have a USB connector that will enable me to connect the drive to the USB - but I assume connecting it to the motherboard would have given me a better result anyway - but that doesn't work either.

I only have WIN10 laptop with me and an old XP machine - I have to wait until I get home, maybe 5 or 6 weeks until I can try out other things with a WIN10 Desktop - unless you have any other ideas? Using win commands or interpreting Event System Errors and correcting them - or if anyone else has any ideas that I can try

Thks

Dave8671

Distinguished
" Error 154 The IO operation at logical block address 0xe8e07fff for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000022e) " is a indication of hardware error.

Connect it to windows 10 have perform this test ( if this fails the drive is bad)

Type cmd, in the task bar, type chkdsk X: (X means the drive letter you want to check) see what it finds

checkdisk will take hours as well and will most probably crash as well.
You could try crystal disk info it will display the smart info which is in the bios of the drive and will tell you if the disk has bad sectors, if it does it's broken.
If it shows a lot of connection errors it could be because it is loosing the signal (bad connections) or because it maybe doesn't get enough power.