Question Unable to format previously externalized SSD when connected internally

Jun 14, 2020
Hi Guys,

I bought a Crucial MX500 480 GB SSD to add as second drive in my laptop. I wanted to utilise the blank ODD space as home for the second drive.

While I was waiting for the caddy and SATA connector to be delivered, I went ahead and bought an USB enclosure for the SSD. I formatted and partitioned the SSD connected via USB.

After my caddy arrived, I took the SSD out from the enclosure and housed it in the caddy and connected to newly installed SATA connector.

Now I am unable to use the SSD as internal drive as it's recognised as unallocated drive. When I try to create a volume and format it, the formatting fails citing too many bad clusters. I have tried to wipe the SSD, clean it using diskpart and many other things - but nothing helps.

When I take the SSD out and connect via USB, everything seems fine again. Can format and access the drive effortlessly. Looking for some help in understanding what could be causing this.

Thank you,
/D

parthtrivedi

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012
Connect the drive externally , delete the external partition and connect the raw ssd via the caddy. Also, if you're going to be using the SSD as the boot partition then always keep it in the primary slot(where the original hard disk is) and use the HDD (or the non boot drive) in the caddy

Jun 14, 2020
Connect the drive externally , delete the external partition and connect the raw ssd via the caddy. Also, if you're going to be using the SSD as the boot partition then always keep it in the primary slot(where the original hard disk is) and use the HDD (or the non boot drive) in the caddy
I tried this - but unfortunately I am getting "parameter is incorrect" during the format step. I have tried the most recommended sequence ( select disk -> clean -> create partition -> ... ) in diskpart but no luck :-(