Question Unable to get 2560x1090 resolution on LG Ultrawide monitor (29WL500B)

Apr 2, 2020
Hi all,
I'm trying to work out why i cant get 2560x1080 resolution when connecting my laptop to new monitor. The option isnt available in the display settings. The best i can get is 1920x1080(recommended)

The monitor has HDMI inputs only.
Laptop doesnt have HDMI, only Displayport and USB-C. So i've connected it via the Displayport to HDMI cable that came with the monitor. Could this be the problem?

Monitor: LG Ultrawide (29WL500B)
Laptop: HP Elitebook 820 G3 - Intel HD Graphics 520

I can get full 2560x1080 when i connect a macbook via HDMI to HDMI.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam.

if the cables came with the display then they can output it's max resolution.

there's a chance Windows may need specific drivers to recognize the new monitor and it's capabilities.
when you look in Display Settings > Advanced Display Settings what is shown under Display information?

Apr 2, 2020
if the cables came with the display then they can output it's max resolution.

there's a chance Windows may need specific drivers to recognize the new monitor and it's capabilities.
when you look in Display Settings > Advanced Display Settings what is shown under Display information?

Actually, i'm not using the cable that came with the monitor as it is HDMI-HDMI cable. I'm using an older displayport-HDMI cable.

I cant seem to get Advanced Display Settings. This is a work supplied laptop so that might be why?

Apr 2, 2020
so this was incorrect?

you would have to verify that whatever 3rd party cable/adapter you are using can output that resolution.
and also that the display can handle that resolution via that type of cable.
both should have this information listed in their user manuals / spec sheets.

Sorry no, it didnt come with the monitor. I'm not sure if it came with my old monitor or i purchased it seperately, either way it must be at least a few years old.

Generally speaking, do you know if it's possible to get the widescreen resolution (2560x1980) from a Displayport>HDMI connection? If yes, do you know what sort of cable i need? It sounds like there's a few different types.

I'm trying to work out if the problem is the type of connection (Displayport>HDMI) or is it my cable not being the right one.

Thanks again for your help.

Oct 8, 2021
Generally speaking, do you know if it's possible to get the widescreen resolution (2560x1980) from a Displayport>HDMI connection? If yes, do you know what sort of cable i need? It sounds like there's a few different types.

Did you ever get an answer to this question? I have the same issue with the same work laptop and the same ultrawide monitor.