Question Unable to get 4K resolution @ 60hz on my TV connected to laptop

Jan 28, 2020
My Laptop's specs:
Windows 10
Intel Core i7 7700HQ
8 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 1050

My TV is a Samsung 43'' Q60R 4K TV. My laptop is connected to it via an HDMI cable and I use it as my display. I mostly watch movies, anime, YouTube and Twitch on it. However, I notice that whenever I'm watching gaming videos on the latter two services, even though the videos are running at 60fps, everything visually looks like it's running at half the frame rate. Sure enough, when I check the settings of the display on my laptop, it says my Samsung TV's max refresh rate is 30 hz, when I know for a fact it's supposed to be 60. My laptop's screen is also confirmed to be 60 hz as well. I made sure the cable is also able to handle UHD. I've tried everything and to no avail; I simply cannot get my TV to set at 60 hz. Does anyone know what the issue is? I can't even tell if the issue is my laptop or the TV. I really hope you can help; it's such a shame to have this great looking TV and not get the best picture quality possible. Thanks in advance!

Jan 28, 2020
In the user manual (http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201909/20190919132100565/MUSATSCR-4.0.0_EM_MUSE_USA_ENG-US_190731.0.pdf#009_appendix_ENG-US.indd:_IPHL_Read Before Connecting a Computer (Supported Resolutions)) on page 149, the 3480x2160/60Hz resolution has a star by it that says "The resolution may not be supported depending on the model. "
I suspect that the smaller screens may not support 60Hz at the higher resolutions.

You might try updating the firmware if you haven't.
I see, thanks. I have the latest firmware so I guess 4K at 60Hz isn't supported for my TV. Kinda wish they would have mentioned that somewhere on the box or the manual before I bought it.

So for gaming on my laptop, does that mean anything in 4K resolution will run at half the framerate no matter what?

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
My Laptop's specs:
Windows 10
Intel Core i7 7700HQ
8 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 1050

My TV is a Samsung 43'' Q60R 4K TV. My laptop is connected to it via an HDMI cable and I use it as my display. I mostly watch movies, anime, YouTube and Twitch on it. However, I notice that whenever I'm watching gaming videos on the latter two services, even though the videos are running at 60fps, everything visually looks like it's running at half the frame rate. Sure enough, when I check the settings of the display on my laptop, it says my Samsung TV's max refresh rate is 30 hz, when I know for a fact it's supposed to be 60. My laptop's screen is also confirmed to be 60 hz as well. I made sure the cable is also able to handle UHD. I've tried everything and to no avail; I simply cannot get my TV to set at 60 hz. Does anyone know what the issue is? I can't even tell if the issue is my laptop or the TV. I really hope you can help; it's such a shame to have this great looking TV and not get the best picture quality possible. Thanks in advance!

To get 4k 60hz over HDMI, both output and input has to be HDMI 2.0, and the HDMI cable has to be rated as high speed HDMI.

Check the laptops and TV's specifications if they have HDMI 2.0 ports. I expect the TV to have it, but the laptop probably does not.

"The resolution may not be supported depending on the model. "

I guess that's what this implies, that depending on the laptop model, if it does not have HDMI 2.0, 3480x2160/60Hz wont be supported.

Jan 28, 2020
To get 4k 60hz over HDMI, both output and input has to be HDMI 2.0, and the HDMI cable has to be rated as high speed HDMI.

Check the laptops and TV's specifications if they have HDMI 2.0 ports. I expect the TV to have it, but the laptop probably does not.

I guess that's what this implies, that depending on the laptop model, if it does not have HDMI 2.0, 3480x2160/60Hz wont be supported.

According to my laptop's graphics card, it's supposed to support HDMI 2.0 (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1050/ )

And the HDMI cable is supposed to support it as well (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFD7DYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

Could it be something else, since HDMI 2.0 appears to be supported as you've described?

You might look at: Settings->General->External Device Manager->Input Signal Plus. The description is "Expands the input signal range for HDMI connections. "

You might also play around with Game Motion Plus and FreeSync settings.

I'm puzzled that 1440p/120 didn't work either, according to the manual it should.

Good luck!

Jan 28, 2020
You might look at: Settings->General->External Device Manager->Input Signal Plus. The description is "Expands the input signal range for HDMI connections. "

You might also play around with Game Motion Plus and FreeSync settings.

I'm puzzled that 1440p/120 didn't work either, according to the manual it should.

Good luck!
Yup, I had Input Signal Plus already enabled, still can't get 4K@60. I also discovered that the 43'' version of this model TV only has a 60hz panel, so I can't get 120hz at all.

TRENDING THREADS