[SOLVED] Unable to get a 3600 and B450 Tomahawk Max to boot

Aug 30, 2019
As the title says, I'm not able to get my build to BIOS. All the mobo provides is a red CPU light. I've tried reseating the CPU, trying with only one RAM stick in slot two and doing all that again with latest BIOS and no luck. I'm not sure what else to try. Thanks for any info

Aug 30, 2019
Do you know if your motherboard has the required BIOS version, 7C02v30 (or newer) installed? That is necessary to work with your CPU. This must be done BEFORE using the 3600.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#support-cpu
I was unable to get the BIOS flashback feature to work with the CPU installed but after removing the CPU and RAM and trying it again it appeared to have worked but after reinstalling everything I just had the same issue. I tried the latest 7C02v31 and the beta 7C02v321 though I might need to try v31 again

Aug 30, 2019
If you have access to a previous generation CPU, use that to apply the update and verify that the system works. Then try the 3600.
I don't have access to Zen 1(+) CPU so might have to load one of the bootkits they're offering. But given this is a Tomahawk Max shouldn't this all work out of the box? I'm really stumped for what the issue is here

Aug 30, 2019
After ripping everything out and rebuilding it all whatever the problem was it seems to have fixed itself. Sorry for the unsatisfying fix. The symptoms were unfortunately similar to other issues people were having that would lead me to believe there was a larger problem. Unfortunately, not everything works as I'm getting intermittent BSoDs in Windows (And even then installer) and it appears to be related to RAM. Is it worth making another question? Thanks for your time anyway

EDIT: As it turns out I've gotten mega unlucky with my processor. Underclocking to 2.5Ghz solved all issues. I can raise it a somewhat before instability again. Looks like I'll be sending that one back :>

Last edited: