kaushik1099

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
Hi,
I have a pretty old Motherboard (Intel dh61bf) with an intel core i5-3330 and intel took down its hosting of drivers on its official website last year, I am having a gigabit d-link DGS-1008A switch , connected to both my PC and to a gigabit port on my ZTE ISP issued router's gigabit port, the PC was getting gigabit speeds fine and i had not changed any hardware or wiring but suddenly (am not sure of the event, a windows update or some software update/install , but am sure it was not related to networking tools or drivers) and the PC is getting only 100Mbps speeds, i checked the switch, the cat6 wire used with another device and it works and gets gigabit speeds,

Network Card: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
PC running windows 10 pro 2004 build 19041

i tried
uninstalling the driver in device manager and letting windows automatically get driver on restart
uninstalling the driver in device manager and installing the driver i got for the model on realtek's website
uninstalling the driver in device manager and installing driver as a legacy device and manually pointing to driver's .inf file
clearing all previous driver installations and trying another version of the same driver from a third party website.
swapping the cat6 cable

First time asking a question here, point me out if i have missed anything.
Thank you,

tldr:
cant get gigabit speeds, hardware and network unchanged, driver reinstalling doesnt work.

Solution
It is not normally a driver issue. The speed is done by the hardware detecting voltages etc so it has little to no software/driver involved.

This pretty much means the port in your machine is bad or you have a bad cable. Lucky bad cable is the most common cause. Cables can over the years get a wire loose due to heat/cool cycles. This is even more true if you are using fake cable that have non copper wire or have very small wires.

Your best option is to try a new cable. Cables are very strange they can work on some devices and not others. The port in your machine maybe more sensitive to out of spec cables.

In any case a new cable is the cheapest thing to try. After that you start looking for pcie or usb ethenet cards.
It is not normally a driver issue. The speed is done by the hardware detecting voltages etc so it has little to no software/driver involved.

This pretty much means the port in your machine is bad or you have a bad cable. Lucky bad cable is the most common cause. Cables can over the years get a wire loose due to heat/cool cycles. This is even more true if you are using fake cable that have non copper wire or have very small wires.

Your best option is to try a new cable. Cables are very strange they can work on some devices and not others. The port in your machine maybe more sensitive to out of spec cables.

In any case a new cable is the cheapest thing to try. After that you start looking for pcie or usb ethenet cards.

Reactions: kaushik1099
Solution

kaushik1099

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019

For some reason the same cable gives gigabit speeds on my laptop , but not on my PC, I used a new cable and it worked perfectly...

Thanks