Unable to get memory stable

maxkranendijk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Dear friends,

Iam having my pc already for 2,5 years and I still havn't get my pc stable. Now I have the time and want to get rid of my problem.

This are my specs:

Cooler Master CM 690
Intel Core 2 Duo,Boxed, E6750, Socket 775
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Samsung Spinpoint T166, 500 GB
Samsung 1 TB
Corsair CMPSU-450VX,450Watt
Samsung SH-S203B,OEM
Samsung SH-D162C
XFX HD 5770 1gb gddr5
GigaByte GA-P35-DS3 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2544#dl
G.E.I.L GX22GB6400DC, 2048 MB, DDR2, PC6400

I have updated my bios to F14, installed my latest chipset drivers and run all the newest drivers.

Here you can find my bios settings:

http://yfrog.com/jkp7310569j

http://yfrog.com/5gp7310570j

I tried to change the voltage of my ram between 1.8 and 2.2

changed the settings of my ram to 5-5-5-15, - 5-5-5-18 and auto

my system memory multiplyer on 200 or auto
performance enhance on turbo and standard.

Furthermore I tried to put the memory in different slots, which doesn't change. I also bought these: http://www.geil.com.tw/products/showSpec/id/65 but with that ram it is only worse.

When I play games I get the following error:

http://yfrog.com/n6crashjj

Especially when my pc is longer on or when its warmer.

From now on I really don't know what to do, can it really be the problem that my memory gets to hot and that I need a memory cooler? I cannot think of another reason anymore.

Please help me out! Thnx!

ok, reset bios, put everything back to 'standard'
take all your memory out of the system and put one stick only in,
Boot up,play on windows for 10 minutes, youtube/play WoW etc
assuming it works ok, put that stick to one side, try the next, repeat until you confirm all sticks are 'good'
I'll check back in a bit,
Moto

maxkranendijk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
I changed my settings now to:

system memory multiplyer 200 (so 667, instead of 800)

5-5-5-15

and voltage on 1.8

memtest86 gave a compleet test without errors now.

Will play movies etc and see if it crashes again. Update later.

maxkranendijk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Update!

'Great news', my system is fully stable with only 1 memory (1gig). I played Battlefield Bad Company 2 and repaired big files (6gig+) with quickpar without errors. Did it on every separated slot (4 pieces).

So the problem is that it goes wrong when they are in dual channel or when there are more. Dual channel doesn't work properly.

What can I try next?

I'd say its most likely you have at least one bad stick,
did you try running the system for a bit on each individual stick or just that one?
it may also be that you need to increase voltage on ram and northbridge a touch
but I'd like to rule out any bad sticks first
Moto

maxkranendijk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
I tried every stick for like 15min, reparing quickpar etc. Iam 99,9% sure the sticks are fine.

Iam currently working with 2 sticks (on 2.1 volt) on single mode (slot 1 and 2). But it gives already an error when Iam reparing with quickpar (memory fail). Does it still need more volt?

What can it be that Iam only allowed to have 1 mem......

bilbat

Splendid
A lot of this is 'canned' - so if you've seen parts of it before, skip ahead!

GA-P35-DS3 E6750 to 2.66 or 3.2 GHz
Intel E6750 1333FSB x8.0mult 2.66GHz .85-1.5V Core G0 sSpec SLA9V
G.E.I.L Memory GX22GB6400DC 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 memory: 5-5-5-15-2t nominal 1.8V

Intersting RAM data here...

Gentle (but noticeable), no-risk, low-voltage Overclocking parameters are in italics...

If you haven't yet done it, pull out all but one DIMM, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults" to set sub-timings...

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Disabled" (for convenience in entering BIOS)

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (for now...)
"HPET Support" to "Enabled"
"HPET Mode" to match your OS

Do the <CTRL>+<F1> to 'unlock'; on the "PnP/PCI Configurations" page:

(if it appears at all...)"PCI Latency" to "64"

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"CPU Clock Ratio" to "8X"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...
"CPU Host Clock Control" to "Enabled"
"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "334"
"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "401"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "2.40 B"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "2.00 D"
"Memory Frequency (Mhz)" - again, can't be set, it's calculated...
"DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" to "Manual"

******** Standard Timing Control ********
Most of the memory timings should be good in "Auto", as set by the LoadOpt...

if "Static tRead Value" wasn't set to at least "7" by the "Load Opt", bump it up to there...
make sure "Command Rate(CMD)" is set to "2T"
whatever tRFC is set to, raise it by 10%, rounded up to the next integer...

...rest of the sub-timings should be good...

"System Voltage Control to "Manual"
"DDR2 OverVoltage Control" to "+0.10V"

"(G)MCH OverVoltage Control" to "+0.10V"
"CPU Voltage Control to "Normal"
"CPU Voltage Control to "1.3500V"

And that should do it!

I should point out that getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and we don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults. This sometimes goes astray, and it doesn't get back into proper operation - for example, at this point, mine will sometimes 'lock' itself into 111MHz x a six multiplier - and take a week to do a whole boot - that's time to do a CMOS reset, and use your 'stored' <F12> profile to get back to where you were...

Good luck!

Bill

maxkranendijk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Unbelievable! It works! And i have not even all the settings!

I have now these settings (incl what you have suggested):

http://yfrog.com/15p8010575j
http://yfrog.com/86p8010576j

I could not find the following 2 settings:
make sure "Command Rate(CMD)" is set to "2T"
whatever tRFC is set to, raise it by 10%, rounded up to the next integer..

Furthermore I did not know if I need to have ""CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "401" " on 401 or 334, now I choose 334.

They are now running proper on dual channel :), I have still 2 more sticks of http://www.geil.com.tw/products/showSpec/id/65, do you think i can put the total volt on 2.1, or is that too high for my 'slower' 2 sticks?

(BTW thnx a million again! I been looking for the solution in total already over a month in time! How can you know such settings :p)

maxkranendijk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Iam currently running with 4 sticks of 1 gig and so far it looks stable :). I will see what bilbat says about the settings i didn't change and it is safe for my system to keep it running like this using 4 gig of ram :).

Atleast Iam already so happy for the tips I got here, amazing!

bilbat

Splendid
Always
welcomeho.gif
!

The 401 host clock, along with the other alternative settings in italics will overclock your system by about 20%, which will be noticeable. This should be easily done, as you already have the Freezer 7 which I often recommend here to people who have not yet added an aftermarket heat-sink/fan...

As for 'mixing' memory, I usually recommend against it, as it is 'iffy' - sometimes it can be done, sometimes, not - and there's really no way to predict the results. I can, however, 'walk you through' the procedure to attempt it. The trick is, beside the 'main four' memory timings, CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS, there are a dozen or more sub-timings which also must be set correctly. This information is actually stored on each DIMM, in the form of a little piece of 'permanent memory', called the SPD. What happens when you do the 'Load Optimized' function, among other things, is that the BIOS reads this little table of values, and sets all its CMOS values to match what's on the DIMMs. If the info on the DIMMs is different, I can't even guess what it does - but it almost never works! What one needs to do is load the DIMMs one kind at a time, do the LoadOpt for each, and read all the RAM timings that the BIOS has set for that DIMM type, to record them on paper. When you have both sets recorded, getting them to work is a matter of comparing each pair of values, and set the corresponding value in the BIOS, manually, to the highest number of the two - as the highest value is the slowest setting, and RAM will usually (but not always) work at slower settings, but will almost never work at faster settings. In addition, the values in the SPD are typically for use with a single DIMM per memory channel, and almost always require a little adjustment to work with all the memory slots filled. This usually amounts to a little bump in voltage, another bump of the MCH (memory controller hub) voltage, and a further increase in tRFC timing. If you want to try this, best thing would be to 'visit us' in the Gigabyte forum - I don't often 'wander out' to the main 'Motherboards and Memory' area where I happened to find your post... Also, reading the GIGABYTE 'sticky' would probably be worthwhile, as it covers many of the problems and peculiarities of these boards...

I been looking for the solution in total already over a month in time! How can you know such settings
[:bilbat:9] Mostly, people ask "do you work for Gigabyte?" [:isamuelson:8] I've just been doing this for a while - first 'real' comp was about '87 - a KayPro Z-80a running ZCPR, with a lot of 'solder hacks'... Have done industrial control systems for 25 years, and actually enjoy reading things like datasheets for northbridge chips: the one for your chipset is 437 pages long... [:isamuelson:6]

maxkranendijk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks again for your long answer. So far my pc is still stable :). Played 'Battlefield Bad Company 2' for 2,5 hours on high resolution, everything fine.

Settings are currently on the 'slowest' sticks, so 5-5-5-15. Will it give errors later than I will just go back to 2 gig.

Afterall Iam a very happy guy.

bilbat beat me to it. :(

max,
Some of us read a lot. And some of us really like Gigabyte motherboards. I have 5.

And you should give bilbat credit for a "Best Answer".