Question Unable to initialize any SATA drive

Nov 15, 2020
I initially thought this was a software issue and posted it in that forum (previous thread of my attempts here) I purchased a new hard drive and am having the exact same issue I was having before, which is leading me to believe that this is hardware related.

The other day I suddenly lost my Storage Spaces mirrored two drive combo in Windows and in the UEFI BIOS. In Disk Management, both drives showed as Uninitialized and I was prompted to initialize them. When I hit OK, I got the error "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." The drives are both Seagate ST16000nm001G EXOS 16 TB drives, so I loaded up Seagate's bootable drive software onto a thumb drive and tried that. When the software was booting, it was spitting out all kinds of error codes then booted correctly, however, every drive test in there failed instantly when I ran them.

I thought the drives had both failed, which I thought was strange, but I reluctantly bought another, which arrived last night, and lo and behold I'm getting the same errors as I was with my old drive. I have a SATA Blu-ray drive and a USB hard drive that are both working properly, if that's any help.

In addition to what I've tried above and in the previous thread I have also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers, updating my chipset drivers, replacing both Power and SATA cables, resetting the CMOS, and obviously replacing the hard drive as well.

Any ideas what might be causing this and what I can do about it? here are my hardware specs

Processor: AMD RYZEN 9 3900X
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO
RAM: Corsair (not sure which model) 64GB

I actually had a port go bad and do this. Do you have another computer you could swap the drives to just to see if they are visible in the BIOS setup? Or do you have other drives you could plug into the bad system's SATA slots to see if those show up? See if the problem follows the hard drives, or if it follows the SATA slot.

Alternately (but not as good as a test), if you have open SATA slots on that motherboard, then you might see if the drives are visible in BIOS when cables connect to the alternate ports.

Nov 15, 2020
I tried plugging it into the SATA port where my Blu-Ray drive is plugged in (since that's still visible/working) and I had the exact same issues. I haven't tried 3 of the ports, but my rig is currently open and in a bunch of pieces, so that should be an easy thing to test as well.

I haven't tried plugging the new hard drive into another PC yet.

Nov 15, 2020
Ok, I've tried all 3 of the previously untried SATA ports. For the Hard Drive nothing shows up, but it still shows my NVME boot disk as Disk 1 instead of Disk 0, my Blu-ray drive shows up perfectly fine on any SATA port that I've tried.

Is it worth investing in a USB to SATA plug to see if the drive shows up there? At the same time would it be worth grabbing a PCI SATA card?

Nov 15, 2020
I plugged the drive into another computer that I have and I'm having the same issues... it's not showing up in the UEFI BIOS and I'm getting the "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." error when I try to initialize it in Disk Management. I specifically tried the same power/sata connector and port as the disk drive that one has in it, so I know that SATA port should work. I also tried another open SATA port on this other PC with the same issue.

TRENDING THREADS