Question Unable to install a WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD 500 GB in a gigabyte b450 ds3h rev 1.0 Motherboard

Jun 24, 2020
My daughter is building a gaming PC and is attempting to install a WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD 500 GB in the M2A slot of a gigabyte b450 ds3h rev 1.0 Motherboard. While the videos make it seem straightforward, I am starting to wonder it the slot is either blocked or the SSD is not compatible. The SSD looks just like this WD SATA SSD with the 2 small slots along the interface. I am attempting to determine why this wont slide into the slot. Thank you.

My daughter is building a gaming PC and is attempting to install a WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD 500 GB in the M2A slot of a gigabyte b450 ds3h rev 1.0 Motherboard. While the videos make it seem straightforward, I am starting to wonder it the slot is either blocked or the SSD is not compatible. The SSD looks just like this WD SATA SSD with the 2 small slots along the interface. I am attempting to determine why this wont slide into the slot. Thank you.
How are you placing it in? Are you making sure it's not flipped so that you are trying to push it in upside down? The keying only works one way.

Jun 24, 2020
Quite sure I’m trying to install it right-side up. Going in with the S/N labeling side up. It’s more like the keying is not matched to the slot. The keying appears to match to the right side of the slot but not the left. If I had a way to post jpg files here it might help.

Quite sure I’m trying to install it right-side up. Going in with the S/N labeling side up. It’s more like the keying is not matched to the slot. The keying appears to match to the right side of the slot but not the left. If I had a way to post jpg files here it might help.
The keying is smaller on one side than the other and I think (but not sure) that would mean the brand label should be facing up and not the side with the serial number. I really have no idea since I don't own that specific drive. Edit - I believe I'm wrong actually, the serial number facing up should be the correct way to install when looking at the keying.

If it doesn't fit one way, flip the drive and try it the other way. It shouldn't take much effort to slide it into the slot and push it down to screw it in place.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020
Turns out after sending photos to Gigabyte they believe that the slot has been crushed. Not sure if it was done by us, at the factory or during shipping. Anyway, opening a repair order with them tonight. Thanks for your help! Steve