Unable to install application in Windows 10

NamitNasih

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016
I was using a Powerpoint add-in (SlideGo) on my Win 8 (64 bit) laptop. I upgraded to Win 10 and the add-in continued to run fine.

Recently, I acquired a Win 10 (64 bit) laptop. When I tried installing the same add-in, nothing happens (the mouse cursor shows it is busy, but nothing happens). I tried installing it in compatibility mode but that didn't work. I also tried restarting with Signed Driver Enforcement disabled but that didn't help either.

Any suggestions on what I should do would be very welcome.

PS: I asked this on Reddit r/techsupport but got no response and then someone advised asking here: I apologize in case I have broken any rules by multiple posting.

NamitNasih

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Yes, that's them but with once change: SlideGo is no longer available as an add-in- it's become a service. As far as I know, the add-in didn't have too many users and there is no support for it. That said, the more important reason that I didn't reach out to them was that the issue appears to be linked to Windows 10.

RonWesley

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
Windows 10 requires quite a lot of free disk space on your hard drive or solid state drive in order to be installed. Windows 10 runs on a variety of hardware. I acquired window ten.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its possible it is a change made in win 10 that stops this working but the product is no longer being made, and was never advertised as being for win 10, and the company that makes it suggests using the service, so its a difficult question to answer. The web site still has editor on this page so they sending mixed signals: http://www.slidego.com/

Do you have exactly same add ons in both installs, and what version of Powerpoint is it?

NamitNasih

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

So let me clarify:
1. When I said "service", I meant that the company now has an online editor (as opposed to a downloadable add-in which it earlier had, and to which I have been referring).
2. The exe file of SlideGo that I am trying to install on Laptop 2 is the same that was used to install Laptop 1 (which, at that time, had Win 8 OS)
3. Currently both laptops have Windows 10 Home/ Office 365 Home (Ver 16.0.6769.2017) / PowerPoint 2016
4. You're right that this add-in was never made for Win 10 but what was bothering me is that it continues to work on Laptop 1 (which has now been upgraded to Win 10).

Colif

Win 11 Master
It seems the ex win 8 one has something the win 10 one lacks. It may not help at all but try upgrading the drivers on the win 10 laptop using driver booster.

Does the ex win 8 one have any other add ons that may be helping it?

NamitNasih

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

I am not aware of Laptop 1 having any add-ons that may be helping it.

NamitNasih

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Thanks but that didn't help. This add-in has to be installed by running the exe file.

NamitNasih

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Okay, here's an update. I tried installing this on another Win 8 laptop: it worked perfectly. I tried installing this on another Win 10 laptop: it hung (the same way it did on my Win 10 laptop). It's making me feel even more strongly that this has something to do with Win 10, and not with Office 365.