Status
Not open for further replies.

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
I'm running Windows 10 and have been using Format Factory to convert video and audio files without incident. Last week I downloaded a new release v9.* and could not get it installed because Windows Defender threw up a window saying it found a potential virus. As I was searching for a solution, I discovered that shutting down Defender allowed the exe file to run and install the new version. But, when I reengaged Defender I could not open the program because, once again, I got the potential virus window.

Format Factory had a warning on their website advising that this might happen, that I should ignore as the file was not a virus and was safe. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get that far.

This week Format Factory issued another update. v10, I tried this version with the same results.

Has anyone else tried this install. If so, can you please tell me how you did it? I have contacted FF directly 3 times and have not gotten a response.

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried to comment on each of your posts but managed to lose my draft! Anyway, I tried the 3 install attempts method but got only 10 warning screens. Then rgd1101, above, referenced a tread advocating an add-an-exclusion-to-windows security. That got me past the Windows block but then I got a new block from 7-Zip of all places!

I have screen shots but I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach/insert them.

Do yourself a favor and learn how to use ffmpeg, most conversion software is a front end and uses ffmpeg anyway, so does format factory or did in the past, if you only ever convert a few file types into a few others you can make windows shortcuts and just drop your files on the shortcuts to get your converted file.

It's a single file, after you unzipped the archive, so it doesn't even need any installation messing up your system.
Get the gpl version, the bigger one, since it has more codecs.
https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html#build-windows

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
Thanks for your replies USAFRret and TerryLaze but I'm afraid that I'm not skilled enough to try either. I went the referenced website and could not figure out how to navigate. And the command line and registry are really at the deep end of my pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.