Question Unable to install Linux due to graphics card driver support.

May 23, 2020
Well thats not totally true, what I mean is the disto/s I want don't have the option for a safe boot or whatever its called when running from a usb to install, and Im running a 2080ti but want linux as a backup and for just learning rather than use Windows all the time, it has its own SSD and I disable/disconnect the Windows drive so it has its own bootloader.

The issue I get is if I try a normal boot/install the text appears and scrolls and as soon as the GUI is meant to show I get a few coloured lines, on distros that have a safe mode boot I can get into setup and install.

The distro I am currently interested in doesn't have that option so instead I tried "nomodeset" which instead gives me a wall of text then a blinking cursor but no terminal despite multiple button presses.

Its a shame the distro I want as well as a few others I was thinking of testing I couldn't install.

Is there a way to somehow either bring up a terminal, or force linux in general into a safe video mode and/or add a driver onto a image?

D

Deleted member 14196

Use a virtual machine and install Linux to that. your approach is probably not going to work without a lot of jiggery-pokery

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thats not totally true, what I mean is the disto/s I want don't have the option for a safe boot or whatever its called when running from a usb to install, and Im running a 2080ti but want linux as a backup and for just learning rather than use Windows all the time, it has its own SSD and I disable/disconnect the Windows drive so it has its own bootloader.

The issue I get is if I try a normal boot/install the text appears and scrolls and as soon as the GUI is meant to show I get a few coloured lines, on distros that have a safe mode boot I can get into setup and install.

The distro I am currently interested in doesn't have that option so instead I tried "nomodeset" which instead gives me a wall of text then a blinking cursor but no terminal despite multiple button presses.

Its a shame the distro I want as well as a few others I was thinking of testing I couldn't install.

Is there a way to somehow either bring up a terminal, or force linux in general into a safe video mode and/or add a driver onto a image?
Nomodeset wouldn't work this way, however there is a chance that you could make it work by changing virtual terminal - try pressing alt+F1/F2 etc. Until you get a login prompt. You could also check if your distribution's installer didn't exist in text only (like Ubuntu's mini network installer).

Reactions: mctrader07

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
May 23, 2020
Sorry didn't get the updates to the thread, anyway the main one I have tried is Solus, though had similar issues with multiple distros, before it boots I have to enter the nomodeset to get anything at all.

I have tried multiple alt and F button combinations and nothing changes,

The main thing I noticed as stated is a distro that has latest Nvidia drivers already in called Zorin it worked great, any other one I had to do that safe graphics mode to get into linux but it worked fine and I could change resolution and install.

So its an issue with multiple distros, so I can't even get as far as to get install options.