unable to install Linux

pa261639

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2014
I have a HP P2 Dual Core Desktop with AMD Fusion E450 (Zacate) Dual Core processor, 5GB ram and 500GB hard drive. I decided to put Lubuntu since Windows 10 makes it run sluggishly. I created a USB drive to install Linux and have attempted to install the OS but every time I do, it freezes when trying to install grub2. I have looked online and some have said to use boot repair but when I do that, it still freezes. I then considered going back to Windows 10 but I am unable to go back to the old OS.

At this point, I just want this PC to have an OS, preferably Lubuntu. I am only a novice that wanted to try out Linux on this slow PC and any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Is there a Linux version that does not require grub2 that I can install to get around this or am I SOL?

Dave8671

Distinguished
Is this the PC you have?
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03513421

Yes win10 will not run well on 4GB ram.

I think its due to the GPU which is a integrated graphics card. If you open the case does it have a small square motherboard? If you can please take a pic of the inside for me. Most of these AMD systems can not be upgraded due to not having PCI or PCIE slots.

I can provide a list of used laptops or desktop for Linux if you would like.

Dave8671

Distinguished
The only thing about debian is that non open source drivers wifi card driver etc will not be included. He would have to use an USB stick for the firmware and he is new to Linux not a good option.

I can not much of info on this tower model but that it can support 16 Gb ram but you may only need 8Gb. My advice is take to a PC repair shop and have them upgrade the ram.

I would need hardware info of the computer. here is how to get info from linux livedisk. boot into a livecd of an OS. Search for a terminal in the software. Click on it than type this command below if there is a error omit the sudo I can not recall if it needs sudo on not in the livedisk

Sudo lspci -v

select it all and copy paste it in a writring document save it to a USB stick than post it here.

Actually, in his case, it wouldn't be bad.

The wired networking hardware is well-supported, as well as the Realtek sound; so, doing an install with an Ethernet connection for repository access would be easy.

Adding the non-free branch to sources.list and installing the Atheros AR8152 drivers is then trivial--solidly within the scope of many of the HOW-TOs out there--and, if it gets him a working system, well worth trying.

It's not like he loses anything in the attempt.

Latest posts