Unable to install Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 ...

Problem 1:

I got a new system Pentium 4 3GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 800MHz FSB with windows XP
Professional, Office 2003 that replaces Pentium 3 300MHz 128MB RAM. I was so
happy because I do not need to use Virtual memory any more and windows xp
boots up in a minute. I started installing all the development applications
in the news system. Now my happyness is gone.

I ran setup.exe to install Visual Studio 6.0 using DVD. It crashed. I
thought DVD is bad or corrupted and used some other CD. Still Visual Studio
6.0 installation wizard is crashing. When it crashed, a dialog box comes up
and asks whether I can send report to Microsoft or debug. I sent report to
Microsoft. Nothing happend more than that. I tried to debug using visual
studio .net. It gives the following error message.

Unhandled exception at 0x00408871 in vs60wiz.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
violation reading location 0x00000546.

I am able to install Visual Studio .net. All applications are written in
Visual Studio 6.0 and I am not ready to port them to Visual Studio .net.

Because of this problem I cannot really use my new system. Is there any way
I can fix this problem? Is there any way I can fix this problem? I installed
all security updates, recommended updates using windowsupdate.microsoft.com
and there is no use.

Problem 2

I am having laptop with windows XP professional and sony camcorder. I
installed "pixela image mixer" that comes with camcorder for recording video
from camcorder. It worked fine. Yesterday I wanted to make a trial on
microsoft windows movie maker2. So I installed microsoft windows movie
maker2 using windows update. After installing windows movie maker2, I
realized that I cannot copy video from comcorder using USB port. Now
"pixela image mixer" is crashing after upgrading windows movie maker2. Is
there anyway I can fix this problem? ImageMix.exe gives the following error
message.

Unhandler exception at 0x00401bbf in ImageMix.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
violation regarding location 0x007fcad2.

Does anybody see the above problems? Is microsoft planning to fix these
problems in service pack2?

Regards,
unhappy guy

Hi,

Refer to this KB ARticle

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q192731

And i wonder why did u install Visual studio 6 after visual studio .net

Regards
M. Rajesh
..Net and Windows Shell MVP
www.winxpsolution.com

"For example: John Smith" wrote:

> Problem 1:
>
> I got a new system Pentium 4 3GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 800MHz FSB with windows XP
> Professional, Office 2003 that replaces Pentium 3 300MHz 128MB RAM. I was so
> happy because I do not need to use Virtual memory any more and windows xp
> boots up in a minute. I started installing all the development applications
> in the news system. Now my happyness is gone.
>
> I ran setup.exe to install Visual Studio 6.0 using DVD. It crashed. I
> thought DVD is bad or corrupted and used some other CD. Still Visual Studio
> 6.0 installation wizard is crashing. When it crashed, a dialog box comes up
> and asks whether I can send report to Microsoft or debug. I sent report to
> Microsoft. Nothing happend more than that. I tried to debug using visual
> studio .net. It gives the following error message.
>
> Unhandled exception at 0x00408871 in vs60wiz.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
> violation reading location 0x00000546.
>
> I am able to install Visual Studio .net. All applications are written in
> Visual Studio 6.0 and I am not ready to port them to Visual Studio .net.
>
> Because of this problem I cannot really use my new system. Is there any way
> I can fix this problem? Is there any way I can fix this problem? I installed
> all security updates, recommended updates using windowsupdate.microsoft.com
> and there is no use.
>
> Problem 2
>
> I am having laptop with windows XP professional and sony camcorder. I
> installed "pixela image mixer" that comes with camcorder for recording video
> from camcorder. It worked fine. Yesterday I wanted to make a trial on
> microsoft windows movie maker2. So I installed microsoft windows movie
> maker2 using windows update. After installing windows movie maker2, I
> realized that I cannot copy video from comcorder using USB port. Now
> "pixela image mixer" is crashing after upgrading windows movie maker2. Is
> there anyway I can fix this problem? ImageMix.exe gives the following error
> message.
>
> Unhandler exception at 0x00401bbf in ImageMix.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
> violation regarding location 0x007fcad2.
>
> Does anybody see the above problems? Is microsoft planning to fix these
> problems in service pack2?
>
> Regards,
> unhappy guy

Solution specified in KB article did not work. Actually first I tried to
install Visual Studio 6.0 and it did not work. Then I installed visual
studio .net. By the way your web site www.winxpsolution.com is expired.

"M. Rajesh" <mrajesh24_ns@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> installed "pixela image mixer" that comes with camcorder for recording
>> video
>> from camcorder. It worked fine. Yesterday I wanted to make a trial on
>> microsoft windows movie maker2. So I installed microsoft windows movie
>> maker2 using windows update. After installing windows movie maker2, I
>> realized that I cannot copy video from comcorder using USB port. Now
>> "pixela image mixer" is crashing after upgrading windows movie maker2.
>> Is
>> there anyway I can fix this problem? ImageMix.exe gives the following
>> error
>> message.
>>
>> Unhandler exception at 0x00401bbf in ImageMix.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
>> violation regarding location 0x007fcad2.
>>
>> Does anybody see the above problems? Is microsoft planning to fix these

Judging from the headers, you're running SP2 on the machine from which
you're posting. Be aware of the following:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

Try disabling DEP globally. Even though it's questionable about whether or
not Intel is producing DEP enabled P4s yet there is emulated DEP happening.
And even though you're not necessarily seeing DEP exceptions explicitly
thrown, it's possible that's what is causing your issue with VS6. See here
for information on DEP http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875352

Not sure about the laptop, but if it's running SP2, try the same fix.

--
Walter Clayton - MS MVP(WinXP)
Associate Expert

"For example: John Smith" <For example: someone@microsoft.com> wrote in