Unable to Install New Nvidia 8800GT Drivers

LeetGoose

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Specs:

Windows XP SP3
8800GT

Today I purchased Mass Effect 2 but when I tried to play it I was getting some black bars across the screen and everything was very slow. I haven't updated my drivers in a while so I thought that was the issue. As I was updating to 195.21 I made the mistake of using Driver Cleaner Pro while not in safe mode and then installing the drives while in safe mode (got the process mixed up). After I removed all remnants of drivers and tried to reinstall but when I did I got the error message "The NVIDIA Control Panel could not be installed which may affect driver functionality. The most recent driver that worked will now be restored."
I then decided I would try and install 195.62 hoping they would work but I got the error message "The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will not exit." I dont understand this because I thought 195.62 are supposed to be drivers? On a third attempt I tried to install 181.22 which ended up working but brings up the issue with Mass Effect 2 running poorly.

I tried doing a system restore but it did not work for some reason, I tried again on 2 different restore points and neither worked.

LeetGoose

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I managed to do a system restore in safe mode but it didnt fix the issue. Although I did manage to update my drivers but the newest I could get them to was 191.07 from October. I am still unable to install 195.62 or 196.21

TRENDING THREADS