Question Unable to install Nvidia driver 473.81 in Windows 7 ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Trying to install Nvidia driver 473.81 for 2 graphics cards, (GTX 960, and GTX 980), to test functionality. I have tried both to install the driver on a thumb drive from a friends place which has much faster internet connection, and also at my place directly to my PC, (took approx 1-2 hrs). Both times driver was downloaded directly from Nvidia.

Here is the thing though. When I go to install from either source it copies files 100%, but then that's it, it never installs them, just stops. Also from both downloads it shows unknown source for origin, and not Nvidia even though this is where both were directly downloaded from.
I had read where installing 2 specific Windows updates, (4419, 0628), may help, but I did try to download them, but even those did not install correctly as far as I can tell.

Any help would be appreciated.

System:

HP PAVILION desktop with AMD phenom ii x4 9550

8gb ram

Antec earthwatts 500W PSU

PNY GTX 960, and MSI GTX 980.

Thanks in advance for any help.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Okay. I did wonder about that but I tried this a couple of times and I typed in the actual GPU, and OS which Windows 7 64 bit was the option and 473.81 came up as the driver. I did try other drivers that I knew were specific to Windows 10 and I get the error msg that states not compatible with this version of Windows which makes sense. The fact that it just goes nowhere at all made me think that it was a Windows 7 issue.

I wanted to stick with 7 as most of my games are older, and I get tried of having incompatibility issues where games won't run or require some work-around, etc.

Thanks to everyone. Guess I'll have to go 10 on this PC. Hopefully the cost has gone down significantly since 11 has been out for a while

Thanks again.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
That's right, I forgot about that.. Thanks

On a side note I did a search and it shows 472.12, and a few others for Windows 7 64 bit even though typing my exact specs on the Nvidia site brings up 473.81 . Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.