[SOLVED] Unable to install Win10

mact

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
This is an ASUS AM4 mobo, X570 Pro with 64 GB ram, Promise RX580 GPU, Ryzen 3700X CPU, 750 W PSU, and a pair of Sabrent Gen 4 NVME 1TB as boot drive and main data drive. Plus 8-10 TB of rotating HDD.

I built it about a year ago and had no particularly memorable issues doing so. From about Jan this year I pretty much ignored it as my wife's cancer was getting worse daily...so I used a 12 year old i7-2600K system as the daily machine.

She passed in July, a month later I tried to reactivate the Ryzen box. It would not boot. (had seen no such issue before). The boot drive was a Gen 4 Sabrent Rocket M2 1TB. I replaced it with a Rocket Plus 1TB. Briefly I was able to compare them...the + is about 20% faster than the 5KMBps Rocket. Anyway...

After a week of trying everything I could think of, I decided it was something wrong with the SATA ports, contacted ASUS and got an RMA and sent it back. It was returned several weeks later, not the same board, (missing one of the M2 screws I had left in place) but with updated bios and firmware.

For the last 2 weeks I've been trying to get a bootable W10 system. Can't. At least not one that will work a second or third time.

At first I tried restoring a backup of that same 'puter from before. Spent 3-4 days and none of the restores, going back several months, worked. That is, they would not boot. I was using Easus ToDo Backup, a recent (v12) but not the latest (v13 I think), version. Which I'm no longer happy with. None of them "took" and allowed me to then boot into the previous version of that machine's system.

That is when I sent it back to ASUS in Indiana. I have other backup software (belt and suspenders, you know<G>) but none with backups of that machine.

Since getting it back, or at least getting a replacement, I have pulled power cables from all drives except what I wanted to restore to and then tried putting a new system (from MediaCreation Tool 21H1, burned to a USB flash drive) on (1) the M2 Rocket+ 1TB, (2) the older M2 Rocket 1TB, (3) a SATA 1TB 2.5" SSD, (4) A WD Black HDD, 1TB, (5) a 1TB Silicon Products NVME in a pcie Gen 3 housing by Sabrent. Nothing left to try.

None of these have proven bootable.

I have one of those "fix it all" DVDs from eBay which I can boot into and have access to Control Panel (but not full drive manipulation, IIRC) but have not yet discovered how it can be useful.

WTF is going on? I've not encountered something like this before. Is it NVME, SATA SSD, HDD, what?

Suggestions appreciated.<G>

Solution
This is an ASUS AM4 mobo, X570 Pro with 64 GB ram, Promise RX580 GPU, Ryzen 3700X CPU, 750 W PSU, and a pair of Sabrent Gen 4 NVME 1TB as boot drive and main data drive. Plus 8-10 TB of rotating HDD.

I built it about a year ago and had no particularly memorable issues doing so. From about Jan this year I pretty much ignored it as my wife's cancer was getting worse daily...so I used a 12 year old i7-2600K system as the daily machine.

She passed in July, a month later I tried to reactivate the Ryzen box. It would not boot. (had seen no such issue before). The boot drive was a Gen 4 Sabrent Rocket M2 1TB. I replaced it with a Rocket Plus 1TB. Briefly I was able to compare them...the + is about 20% faster than the 5KMBps Rocket

She passed in July, a month later I tried to reactivate the Ryzen box. It would not boot. (had seen no such issue before). The boot drive was a Gen 4 Sabrent Rocket M2 1TB. I replaced it with a Rocket Plus 1TB. Briefly I was able to compare them...the + is about 20% faster than the 5KMBps Rocket
Wew man, i'm so sorry to hear of your loss, anyway, did you mean you tried to clean install the windows 10?

You might want to try this:
Download windows 10 .iso from this link (expires after 24 hrs after this post), use internet download manager or google chrome to download.

Download and use rufus to burn the .iso to flash drive, go to advanced option and uncheck the quick format, make sure it is set to gpt and UEFI non csm, and start the process. will took some time so take your coffee :D

Once it's done, shutdown the pc and disconnect any drives you plug in, and plug in only the drive you want to install

Boot to bios, and update the bios to the latest, and after update go to bios again and load defaults/optimized default and disable CSM, then set the boot drive to UEFI: Flash drive name, save and exit (make sure the usb drive is on top rear usb plug).

And see if it boots.

After installing windows make sure to install amd chipset driver and reboot, then choose amd ryzen balanced power plan, and you're good to go to check windows update and optional updates

*download link is on highlighted words.

Solution