[SOLVED] Unable to install Windows 10 64bit

Nov 19, 2020
Hi All,

So I've been having system crashes for some time with various BSODs pointing at memory/disk issues, but more than likely it was corrupt Windows files.

Today, it decided to pack in completely, not allowing system restore/reset or any other means of accessing Windows.

Through the Windows reset options I was presented with multiple partitions but all displayed the error "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only installed on GPT disks".

I formatted all partitions other than the recovery partition, disabled EFI (enabled legacy) on the boot drive in BIOS, and this still only allowed me to install Windows 32bit (which I'm up and running on now after re-enabling EFI following install). The 64bit installation on the boot media, an official Windows USB installation disk from 4 years ago, still presented the above error in setup.

Question: Does anyone have a link to a step-by-step guide on how I can clean-up the my drive and set it up for a clean 64 bit install please? I've ordered a USB drive to be delivered tomorrow, as I don't have any blank storage options currently to try a fresh download via Windows Installation Media. I suspect even if I do this, there's some disk configuration issue preventing me installing 64bit.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to respond

Solution
Is anyone able to advise on which partitions I can format/delete to clean up the drive please, and the file system type I need to set the new one up as etc?
Clean the drive before installing windows onto it.
This allows windows setup process to partition and format drive as necessary. If drive is already partitioned with wrong partition style and existing partitions, then windows setup can not continue.

Use diskpart clean method.

delete-clean-partition-diskpart-windows10.jpg
Does anyone have a link to a step-by-step guide on how I can clean-up the my drive and set it up for a clean 64 bit install please?

Reactions: Maggerz
Nov 19, 2020
Thanks John & rgd :) that link will be useful! Is anyone able to advise on which partitions I can format/delete to clean up the drive please, and the file system type I need to set the new one up as etc?

Is anyone able to advise on which partitions I can format/delete to clean up the drive please, and the file system type I need to set the new one up as etc?
This allows windows setup process to partition and format drive as necessary. If drive is already partitioned with wrong partition style and existing partitions, then windows setup can not continue.

delete-clean-partition-diskpart-windows10.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Maggerz
Solution
Nov 19, 2020

Thanks Skynet, do you know how I'd be able to run a diskpart clean on the drive I'm using? I have an old HDD but it has data on, so the only bootable drive I have is the one I need to clean

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks Skynet, do you know how I'd be able to run a diskpart clean on the drive I'm using? I have an old HDD but it has data on, so the only bootable drive I have is the one I need to clean
In the OS install, you have only the ONE drive connected.
Delete all partitions in the process of the install.

Later, reconnect any other drives.
You can use diskpart /clean to completely wipe that drive.

Nov 19, 2020
In the OS install, you have only the ONE drive connected.
Delete all partitions in the process of the install.

Later, reconnect any other drives.
You can use diskpart /clean to completely wipe that drive.

I think I'm having a thick moment here sorry, so I have just an NVME M.2 drive, nothing else (except the windows installation media via USB). No matter what stage I'm at whether before or after install, I'll be trying to perform a diskpart/clean on the drive that I'm using to run it?

The old HDD is in a box somewhere in the back of a cupboard, are you saying I need to install windows to that to be able to clean the SSD?

Sorry!

USAFRet

Titan
I think I'm having a thick moment here sorry, so I have just an NVME M.2 drive, nothing else (except the windows installation media via USB). No matter what stage I'm at whether before or after install, I'll be trying to perform a diskpart/clean on the drive that I'm using to run it?

The old HDD is in a box somewhere in the back of a cupboard, are you saying I need to install windows to that to be able to clean the SSD?

Sorry!
Oh.
No diskpart /clean needed.

Follow the steps in that tutorial linked above.
Delete all existing partitions and continue on.

Nov 19, 2020
Success :) 64bit is installed and running smoothly so far, drivers all up to date, just one issue with a 20H2 cumulative update failing so far.

If I get any more BSODs I'll grab whatever logs I can and get a new thread in the appropriate forum. A bit annoying that I never had a single BSOD before I was forced to install the 20HD feature update...

Thanks for the help all