Unable to install windows 7, CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. (Unable to install Windows 7

Alpehue

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Hi ppl

Im having some problems installing windows 7 on my new computer. (See hardware details below). Windows 8 installs just fine, but I want windows 7.

I can boot into the installation, and get to the part just after selecting a language. But get the message "CD/DVD drive device driver is missing." What i have tried so far.

- Installing from CD and USB
- Tried downloading a different imagine, tried installing from CD and USB again.
- Changing boot sequenze
- Using a USB 2.0 and 3.0 port.
- Unplugging and plugging the CD drive/USB, both into same slot, and another slot.

Does anyone have any suggestions?, i got a idea that it might be bios related, but otherwise Im starting to run out of ideas.

Computer specs:

AMD  AMD Athlon X4 860K 4MB_ 95W_ FM2_ (AD860KXBJABOX)
MSI  A88X-G45 GAMING A88X RG SA (7900-001R)
G.SKILL  G.skill Ares Low Profile - DDR3 1866 MHz - 2 x 4GB (F3-1866C9D-8GAB)
INNO3D  GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 OC (N9704096M256BD5-VC82)
SEAGATE  Barracuda 7200 1TB HDD SATA (ST1000DM003)

When Windows is asking for the cd/dvd driver, just click cancel. You will be brought back to the welcome screen. At the welcome screen, remove your USB drive, insert it back into DIFFERENT USB PORT. Click Install Now again. The installation process should work

Alpehue

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
mcnumpty23> I read about that on a different forum as well, unfortunetly it does not work.

I tried plugging it back into several different slots (Both 2.0 and 3.0) and just to test, the same one. I get the same error.

Edit: You mean click back, and then install now? or just click search now again?

Did you check that maker (you said it is a brand new PC) has a 'downgrade' option for that model computer? We are way past the point now that older Windows will NOT work on newer systems, that specific changes (removing of specific hardware parts to rely on the 'included' software version - thus reducing production costs) over time make newer systems incompatible with legacy Windows (no drivers, no patches, no workarounds). You may have hit that in this case.

That said, the current sold new computers SHOULD be Windows 8.1Update installed (as per Microsoft's instructions for continued support) which puts back the 'desktop' as the main interface (verses the Chams), and there is simple free add ons http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php http://www.classicshell.net/ to give the classic Start menu back if that is a issue for you (as was for me). Otherwise W8.1U works with all apps, devices, etc. as W7 does, and for gaming actually plays alot better than W7 (surprised to see the numbers difference). So at this point there isn't a real reason NOT to update to the 'supported OS', as Windows 7 is next on the 'No longer support' for consumers (you me) in just a couple of weeks http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle January 13, 2015

Alpehue

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Hi Tom

Its a custom built PC, as in i ordered the parts, and assembled it myself.

I purchased a windows 7 pro license for the new pc (So the support will last a bit longer), but am now forced to use a 30 days trial period of windows 8.1

I got windows 8.1 on my private laptop, as well as work computer. Which is fine, but i prefer Windows 7 on my gaming stationary (And i already payed for the 7 license ), not that i cannot run my games in windows 8 its just that..well, even with Classic Shell, it just dosent feel the same.

Alpehue

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
COLGeek, now i think we are getting somewhere, i completely missed that part in the manual.....

Ill give it when im home in about a hour, and let you know if it solved it.

Alpehue

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Unfortunetly they were both set to disabled already.. and same error.

I wonder if i can somehow find the drivers needed, and then browse to them on my harddrive myself... but not sure which ones i need.