Unable to join homegroup

jsanthara

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
I used to have a homegroup set up on computer B, but then i decided to host the homegroup from computer A (my most recent build) because computer A is running more often than any other computer now. So I set it up on computer A and set a password (I know they have to be case-sensitive). When I tried to get computer B to join the homegroup it said the password was incorrect. I know that this isn't the case. Computer C, D, etc. can join homegroup A, but computer B is being stubborn, and can no longer join other homegroups, or have other computers join its homegroup.

So I tried setting up a homegroup on computer B and seeing if computer A could join. Same problem occurred, incorrect password. I'm not sure why this is happening, as I never had a problem with it before. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with a simple fix? Thanks for any help you can provide.

jsanthara

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Nevermind, I figured it out. On computer B, I had recently removed the CMOS battery to return the BIOS to its default settings. I forgot to put back the date and time, it was set for January 2009. After I set the correct date and time I was able to join homegroup A.

Anyone know why you have to have the same date and time in order to join a homegroup? Seems a little unnecessary.