Question Unable to join my own hosted server ?

Mar 23, 2024
I'm hosting my own mc java server on my other laptop, same wifi/router used and my friends can join since I portforwarded it but I can't join it from my main computer. I tried disabling Windows Defender and it still doesn't work. I tried using the public IP but it doesnt work either, and I tried using the laptop's ipv4 IP but that doesn't work either.

Last edited:
It is not uncommon to have issue accessing a internal server using the external IP.

Normal NAT function the source IP on your packet is translated to the external IP. The issue comes because the destination IP in the packet is also the external IP. So the packet in effect is talking to itself even though it is really 2 differnet internal machines.

The router must have a special feature to support this. This is commonly called hairpin nat but router manufactures tend to not document if the router has this feature or not.

It is somewhat strange you can not access the server using the local IP. That is the normal way to test stuff like this. You can try a simple ping command the local IP but you would have to do something very strange to block traffic between lan devices.

I would suspect it is something related to how the actual server function works. There are some game servers for example you still just have a central matchmaking server and it only has a list of the external IP.

Reactions: lantis3
Mar 23, 2024
It is not uncommon to have issue accessing a internal server using the external IP.

Normal NAT function the source IP on your packet is translated to the external IP. The issue comes because the destination IP in the packet is also the external IP. So the packet in effect is talking to itself even though it is really 2 differnet internal machines.

The router must have a special feature to support this. This is commonly called hairpin nat but router manufactures tend to not document if the router has this feature or not.

It is somewhat strange you can not access the server using the local IP. That is the normal way to test stuff like this. You can try a simple ping command the local IP but you would have to do something very strange to block traffic between lan devices.

I would suspect it is something related to how the actual server function works. There are some game servers for example you still just have a central matchmaking server and it only has a list of the external IP.
hello when I try pinging it says
ping 192.168.1.4

Pinging 192.168.1.4 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.2: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.4:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

in cmd

Mar 23, 2024

does dynamic ip also cause issues? I checked my router settings it says theyre dynamic I can change it to static tho I could also turn nat on or of

I would not mess with the router too much if it works fine for other people who are not in your house. That tends to be the hard part to get working. The only IP you really want static is going to be your server and that you generally set in the server itself.

The ping message is strange it is acting like your interface is incorrectly configured.

If you do ipconfig does it show 192.168.1.2 as your IP address. Is the subnet mask 255.255.255.0

I assume you can ping 192.168.1.1 which should be your router.

Generally you just see timeout messages when it says it is unreachable it think it is a different network.

Mar 23, 2024
I would not mess with the router too much if it works fine for other people who are not in your house. That tends to be the hard part to get working. The only IP you really want static is going to be your server and that you generally set in the server itself.

The ping message is strange it is acting like your interface is incorrectly configured.

If you do ipconfig does it show 192.168.1.2 as your IP address. Is the subnet mask 255.255.255.0

I assume you can ping 192.168.1.1 which should be your router.

Generally you just see timeout messages when it says it is unreachable it think it is a different network.
it shoes 192.168.1.4 but when I switch networks on my laptop it tends to change I think it and yes the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and yes I can ping 192.168.1.1

I am somewhat unclear, I guess its because they are both laptops.

So on the laptops that is a server it has ip address 192.168.1.4.
You are trying to ping it from a laptop that has IP address 192.168.1.2

Check the ipconfig on both and make sure they have the same subnet mask and gateway.

This is something strange likley on the laptop with ip 192.168.1.2.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Assuming OP's server is a Windows server.

Client machine must have DNS points to the Windows server's local IP address . Or add Windows server's local IP into client machine DNS settings.

And server's DNS must have setting forwarding to upstream DNS severs like 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 or 1.1.1.1

Mar 23, 2024
I am somewhat unclear, I guess its because they are both laptops.

So on the laptops that is a server it has ip address 192.168.1.4.
You are trying to ping it from a laptop that has IP address 192.168.1.2

Check the ipconfig on both and make sure they have the same subnet mask and gateway.

This is something strange likley on the laptop with ip 192.168.1.2.
its not both laptops the one I used to ping it is my computer desktop and yes they have the same subnet mask and gateway

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024
Assuming OP's server is a Windows server.

Client machine must have DNS points to the Windows server's local IP address . Or add Windows server's local IP into client machine DNS settings.

And server's DNS must have setting forwarding to upstream DNS severs like 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 or 1.1.1.1
I added the Windows server's local IP into client machine DNS settings. But it still doesnt work

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model modem? Make and model router (or modem/router) if combined?

From Post #6:

"it shoes 192.168.1.4 but when I switch networks on my laptop"

What exactly do you do when you switch networks?

And can you provide a simple sketch or diagram showing all devices, names, IP addresses, and the connections between the devices?

What server is being hosted on the other laptop?

Mar 23, 2024
Make and model modem? Make and model router (or modem/router) if combined?

From Post #6:

"it shoes 192.168.1.4 but when I switch networks on my laptop"

What exactly do you do when you switch networks?

And can you provide a simple sketch or diagram showing all devices, names, IP addresses, and the connections between the devices?

What server is being hosted on the other laptop?
Im hosting a mc java server 1.18.2 modded and sometimes my network doesnt automatically connect to my main router and connects to my other one once I connect to the main one again the ipv4 changes to like 192.168.1.4 to 192.168.1.3

My main pc ip: 192.168.1.2
My laptops ip (server): 192.168.1.3

But now I changed my ipv4 in control panel network adapters to 192.168.1.3 so it doesnt change again

My router is the PLDT F670L

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure that I completely understand the stated changes that you are making.

In any case you must be sure that, at no time, no two devices on your network have the same IP address.

My understanding thus far:

The router is 192.168.1.1 - commonly used router IP address and should not be changed barring specific known reasons for doing so.

The main pc is 192.168.1.2 - is that a DHCP IP address or a Static IP address? I would expect DHCP.

The laptop (server) is now 192.168.1.3.. Which should be a Static IP address (does not change) that you established and have ensured that no other device will be using that IP address.

Unless you have reserved 192.168.1.3 for only the laptop server the router may use 192.168.1.3 for another device if the laptop server is turned off.

All devices not using a Static IP address should be requesting a DHCP IP address from the router at 192.168.1.1. Subnet mask for all network devices being 255.255.255.0

Reactions: lantis3
Mar 23, 2024
Not sure that I completely understand the stated changes that you are making.

In any case you must be sure that, at no time, no two devices on your network have the same IP address.

My understanding thus far:

The router is 192.168.1.1 - commonly used router IP address and should not be changed barring specific known reasons for doing so.

The main pc is 192.168.1.2 - is that a DHCP IP address or a Static IP address? I would expect DHCP.

The laptop (server) is now 192.168.1.3.. Which should be a Static IP address (does not change) that you established and have ensured that no other device will be using that IP address.

Unless you have reserved 192.168.1.3 for only the laptop server the router may use 192.168.1.3 for another device if the laptop server is turned off.

All devices not using a Static IP address should be requesting a DHCP IP address from the router at 192.168.1.1. Subnet mask for all network devices being 255.255.255.0
dchp yes