Unable to launch windows

Oct 11, 2018
Hi all,
I was wondering if someone has had this issue and could offer some help.
Basically I have a Dell Optiplex 9010 mini tower running windows 7.
I was out of the country for 3 months and when I set my computer back up when I got home it is failing to launch windows. It goes as far as the windows icon and then crashes.
I put an SSD into it about 6 months ago and kept the old HDD for a scenario just like this but it is also failing at the same point.
I replaced the battery with one from my guitar tuner to see if this was the issue (as the one that was in the computer was completely dead) but still having the same issue.
I have tested the motherboard by removing all sticks of RAM and confirmed that it is working ok (beep test)
I have also removed the after market graphics card (which has been in the machine since I got it without causing issue) but this has not fixed it either.
Lastly I have tried to restore windows from the CD to the HHD (as I don’t want to lose my data from the SSD) and it is still failing.
Can anyone suggest any further steps?
Thank you,
Thomas

Solution
If there is an error message or code to go with the crash please let us know what it is.

I suspect it may be a sata mode setting in the bios. If it is set to Sata or Ide mode then switch it to Ahci. This was a common change on some motherbds to get the higher performance mode.

Alternately, if it is already set to Ahci then try the other options.

popatim

Titan
If there is an error message or code to go with the crash please let us know what it is.

I suspect it may be a sata mode setting in the bios. If it is set to Sata or Ide mode then switch it to Ahci. This was a common change on some motherbds to get the higher performance mode.

Alternately, if it is already set to Ahci then try the other options.

Solution