Question Unable to load LINUX OS on pc

timkomb57

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
Hello there. I just got an extra SSD installed on my system today that I planned on loading Ubuntu on. I downloaded Ubuntu OS 19.10 and also 18.04 and installed it on a USB via Rufus and also Unetbootin. Plus also tried a bootable DVD. I even tried getting elementary os and have the same issue with ALL methods.

I boot from the USB drive and get to the screen where I can try the system or install it. After I make any of the selections, I hear my PC start to roar up then it powers down and restarts it. I can not get past this step. It happens when I try to install and also when I try the system. Currently my main SSD is running Windows 10 x64. Any ideas to get me past this issue??? Been looking for hours for help....

ASRock Z97 Anniversary
Intel i5 4th gen
32 GB DDR3
Gigabyte GTX960
PNY 250Gb+128Gb SSD
2TB Seagate HDD
Dual BENQ 24" Gaming monitors

Reactions: VPN Freedom

timkomb57

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
I have booted it on previous computers and even on this one years ago before I got a new motherboard. It has to be some random setting or something doing this. I just want this simple process to be over with.

Dec 27, 2019
Switch computer off totally. Restart and quickly select BIOS (you have to figure out how to get into BIOS for your computer first, as some computers are a little different to others)........... find your boot options......look down the list.... then select ENABLE BOOT FROM USB DRIVE. (or external)

You can breathe again...........this may have sorted your problem.!!! Now.....

Save new settings and close BIOS. [Then Power down your machine (Turn it off)]

Check your installation information..........but usually the USB with the new O/S has to be in inserted before you power up your machine....

(And leave it there until you are prompted to remove it)

Power up your machine....... ( Switch power on).......Now...

look for...... an old fashioned screen appearing.......... it's a text only screen.....

it's called GRUB and should appear with boot suggestions including your old/present O/S..........select the BOOT FROM USB/Disk/External option........hopefully you have now got onto your live USB startup.

(It will display something obvious like 'Welcome to Ubuntu' or similar. .( It is obvious when this happens.. as you will have a colour screen in front of you that you haven't seen before, on this computer)

If it has done this, the computer will be slow as it is now operating from from your USB using your proposed new operating system (you can explore it, or decide to download it)........

relax you are halfway there.

Follow the onscreen instructions and soon you should have the new operating system booting and operating from your computer.

Follow the instructions for your installation (Google the O/S installation instructions and print) ....... And have internet connectivity available for when it is asked for, for this particular computer. This should have been the first note..........

While you are installing an O/S.... you will have no access to internet searches on that computer.......so have your instructions in front of you in hardcopy.....or another 'connected' computer beside you.

But I am a bit nervous about the recent main 'disk' being changed.........and then this problem.... hmmmm

Having said that... the disabled Boot from USB problem is very common.............so it is worth a look.

Most new computers come with that option disabled....... so to install from USB, that is what you need to do.

Last edited:

timkomb57

Reputable
Oct 2, 2019
The problem is I am stuck on GRUB. I can get to that point but once I select an option (ANY), the machine powers down and goes to windows.
I did not do a new main disk, I just added another SSD in which I planned to install a linux system on that.
I have seen posts about sometimes optical drives give issues like this. I have tried to do this with all drives disconnected (DVD, 2X SSD's, HDD... and still same problem
It appears to boot GRUB from USB but that is it. I dont see a specific option to enable boot from usb but I assume it is enabled since I can get to GRUB... I even tried it with the iso mounted to DVD with the same results

Dec 27, 2019
Sorry Timkomb57 I misunderstood your situation. I incorrectly thought that you were simply having a difficulty with getting your Ubuntu installation up and running. Adding the extra SSD drive will add another layer of complexity that I consider myself out of my depth. I am new to Linux and the partition system..... well lets just say I am trying to understand and learn how to deal it. (If you make a mistake with setting up the partitions, it is often fatal to the system. You can lose all or anything else previously on your Hard drive, so you really have to be awake when you mess with partitioning)

You really have two issues.....first get your computer working with the second (new) SSD; then look into the installation of your new O/S. I think your main issue is getting your computer set up, then your installation should be relatively straight forward.

Maybe a more experienced LINUX operator from this site could assist. Or try the Linux Mint or Ubuntu forums as there are some very informed people in those.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS