[SOLVED] Unable to load windows after installing from usb to ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2-2280 NVME SSD on MSI Z490-A PRO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2020
Venerable Tom's Hardware Forums, I have reached difficult terrain in my computer building process. I’m looking for help to find the best route forward.

Over the weekend I upgraded my motherboard, CPU, and memory. I attempted a clean install of windows on an NVME M.2 SSD that I have been using before for storage without issues, but after installing windows from my USB windows installer, I am unable to load windows on the NVME M.2 SSD. The installation process proceeds normally and restarts once complete, but during boot up the motherboard doesn't find the windows software on the NVME M.2 SSD, and goes to MSI UEFI.

My ADATA m.2 NVME SSD works fine for general storage on my prior ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard, that board didn't support using it as as windows boot disk.

I continue to search the Tom's Hardware forums and others including, google, reddit, MSI, windows, and ADATA, everywhere I can think of about what do to next, including working with MSI and ADATA support.

MSI's UEFI software shows in the storage section that m2_1 has the correct ADATA SX8200PN. Memory and CPU check out OK in UEFI (CPU is at 32 degrees). M.2 drive is visible in UEFI and boot drive is assigned to "UEFI HARD DISK".

I have tried troubleshooting in various ways including:
  • Turned off fast boot in UEFI
  • Deleted all partitions on m.2 SSD using windows installer
  • Run windows repair on the newly installed m.2 drive.
  • Download fresh BIOS and update again to update version to most recent (7C75IMS.210).
  • Try M-flash to roll back to older bios, (I was unable due to MSI UEFI prevented me from doing this)
  • clear CMOS.
  • In Windows custom install from USB I tried installing the "intel rapid storage driver" version 17.9, driver for my SSD (ADATA doesn't have a driver of its own and requires using intel's driver for this drive). I plan to try rolling back to version 17.8 tomorrow,
  • Verified ADTA XPG SX8200 Pro m.2 NVME SSD is listed as a compatible part on ADATA's website for the MSI z490-a Pro.
  • Have tried both AHCI and RAID, going forward I will stick to AHCI
Specs :
CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI z490-a Pro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular
Bios version: E7C75IMS.210
Bios Date: 05/20/2020

Please, oh scions of hardware, hear my prayers, what is my best next path to take after encountering this challenge?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Last edited:
Solution
Try installing Windows 10 by downloading the ISO (not create a USB) from Media Creation Tool, then use Rufus and select GPT and UEFI (without CSM) and flash it.

I have these M2s and they're really good, but I'm having "similar" issues as yours.
Venerable Tom's Hardware Forums, I have reached difficult terrain in my computer building process. I am not sure what to do and would like to avoid returning my motherboard, as I believe this can be fixed.

Over the weekend I upgraded my motherboard, CPU, and memory. I attempted a clean install of windows on my old NVME M.2 SSD, but after installing windows from my USB windows installer, I am unable to load windows on the NVME M.2 SSD. The installation process proceeds normally and restarts once complete, but the motherboard doesn't find the windows software on the NVME M.2 SSD.

I have read online everywhere I can about what do to next, including asking MSI support, ADATA support.

Looking at the UEFI storage section it shows that m2_1 has the correct ADATA SX8200PN. Memory and CPU check out OK in UEFI (CPU is at 32 degrees). M.2 drive is visible in UEFI and boot drive is assigned to "UEFI HARD DISK".

I have tried troubleshooting in various ways including:
-Deleted all partitions on m.2 SSD.
-run windows repair on the newly installed m.2 drive.
  • download fresh BIOS and update again to update version to most recent (7C75IMS.210).
  • try M-flash to roll back to older bios, but UEFI prevented me from doing this.
  • clear CMOS.
-in Windows custom install from USB I tried installing the "intel rapid storage driver" version 17.9 driver for my SSD (ADATA doesn't have a driver of its own and requires using intel's driver for this drive).
-verified ADTA XPG SX8200 Pro m.2 NVME SSD is listed as a compatible part on ADATA's website for the MSI z490-a Pro.

My ADATA m.2 NVME SSD worked fine for storage on my prior ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard, but that board didn't support using it as as windows boot disk.
Specs :
CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI z490-a Pro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular
Bios version: E7C75IMS.210
Bios Date: 05/20/2020

I have tried numerous fixes.

I want to really give it a full attempt before trying another motherboard, as I am quite excited about the overclocking potential of this board.

Thank you for any suggestions!
Windows 10 latest version ?

Reactions: Neowise2020
Jul 31, 2020
ADATA support response:
  1. Check for physical damages - burn marks, cracks, scratches and/or missing components (IC chips, capacitors, resistors, etc.). Units with physical damages are not covered by the warranty.
  2. If the M.2 SSD is being installed for the first time as a secondary storage or connected via an external interface/enclosure, it must be partitioned and formatted prior to use. For Windows based systems, use ‘Disk Management’ to do so; For MacOS based systems, use ‘Disk Utility’.
  3. Verify and make sure the motherboard/computer has the latest BIOS, update if necessary.
  4. Verify and make sure the M.2 SSD has the latest firmware - http://www.adata.com/en/support/driver/, update if necessary
  1. Verify and make sure the BIOS setting for the SATA interface of the M.2 SSD is set to AHCI.
  2. Connect the M.2 SSD to other, if available, SATA ports to check for possible defective port.
  3. Verify with the motherboard/computer manufacturer for the latest driver for the on-board SATA controller, update if necessary.
  4. If necessary, clean all partitions and formatting, and then repartition and reformat the M.2 SSD from scratch.
MSI support :
  1. check and make sure there is no bent pin inside the cpu socket.
  2. Please try with clearing the cmos setting on Jbat1 jumper/SW1 Switch or removing the battery on the mb out for 1 minute and put it back in with power off.
  3. Please test out the mb and components outside the case with mb box to support the board.
  4. This can prevent any short or grounding problem to the mb and the components.
  5. Try with swapping other components like the processor/memory/power supply/video card with other working system components to limit down and defective components installed into the system board.
  6. Remove all connection/installation of add on cards, drives, and extra cable connection from the mb.
  7. Try with bare minimum components installed only.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020
Windows 10 latest version ?
Yes! CountMike, thanks, I’m using windows 10 installation media, downloaded and created the usb boot about 6 days ago, and it should be the most up to date version of the installer. I might as well try to make a new installer in case a file was corrupted, and write to Microsoft support as well since this could be a software issue. Do you agree that I seem to be having a motherboard hard drive compatibility issue , and might an ASUS board / UEFI have an easier time loading windows from this M.2 NVME SSD drive?

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020
does it boot after you go into bios?

is there a fast boot settings in bios?
Thanks, rgd1101 , Yes there is a fast boot option in the MSI UEFI, I will try to disable it and see if that helps. The computer will only boot into the MSI UEFI, it doesn't find windows 10 on the M.2 NVME SSD. If I plug in the windows installer USB it will boot windows installation software just fine from the USB drive, and the installation proceeds normally (maybe about 5 minutes) until it restarts. But once I remove the USB installer, I can only boot to the MSI UEFI, the motherboard BIOS doesn't find the newly installed windows 10 on the m.2 NVME SSD. If I leave the USB windows 10 installer plugged in then I get back to the installer software asking if I would like to install windows again. I never get to the setup windows 10 screens for the fist time stuff. If you are asking if I am using legacy BIOS, I haven't done that, only the MSI UEFI. I hope I am explaining what I am seeing clearly enough, I am not very experienced at talking about BIOS, UEFI, etc. I'll try to get some photos up here soon.

Jul 31, 2020
Tried installing windows 10 on a Crucial MX100 SATA SSD. Same issue as with the ADATA M.2 NVME PCIe drive. I made a new windows 10 installer to rule out that factor. Installation goes normally, windows installer sees the crucial hard drive fine (and it is listed in the storage of the MSI motherabord UEFI as well), but after completion and resetting the computer I can still only boot to UEFI. Windows 10 will not load on either hard drive. Unless any others ideas I will be returning the MSI Z490-A Pro. Anyone have a preferred brand for their UEFI? I've read on forums ASUS is preferred for their UEFI for some users. I went on crucial's website and read forums there as well but it appears I shouldn't need to install drivers for each hard drive prior to installing the windows software. Maybe even another of the same motherboard would work!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020
No success, still having same issues after trying the new BIOS update version 7C75v22 Release Date 2020-07-23, fixing firmware issues. Tried both the m.2 and the sata ssd's, neither were recognized as bootable devices after installing windows 10.

Ordered a new board, ASUS z490 TUF. Is anyone else having issues with MSI motherboard firmware not recognizing boot hard drives? I know this is often the case when new platforms are launched and things are often sorted out over time.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020
Tried new motherboard Asus z490 tuf, updated bios, but still having same inability to boot to the hard drive after install finishes and get a “no boot drive detected” message from the bios when clicking to change boot order. Windows 10 usb installer starts fine and proceeds to restart without problem. I Used 2 different drives, the Adata m.2 nvme, and the crucial sata ssd, details above. Made a new installer media. both drives are seen by motherboard and install appears to go normally but aren’t recognized as bootable devices. Anyone have suggestions about what to try next, are these z490 boards so new there are compatibility problems that are being sorted out with firmware updates forthcoming? Or is it a driver issue? I have tried using the intel rapid storage data driver, using the “load driver” in windows 10 custom install. Both drives working fine in my old z97 board. I’ll be hunting the asus forums and posting there as well.

Last edited:

asus2786

Prominent
Jul 17, 2020
Try installing Windows 10 by downloading the ISO (not create a USB) from Media Creation Tool, then use Rufus and select GPT and UEFI (without CSM) and flash it.

I have these M2s and they're really good, but I'm having "similar" issues as yours.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.