Question Unable to lower refresh rate on laptop

csendo2

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
Hi,
I've recently bought an ASUS TUF A15 FA506II laptop. It boasts a 144Hz display, which for the most part is great, but a lot of games won't run anywhere near that framerate.

What I'm trying to achieve is to lower the display refresh rate to 60Hz, so I could run games more smoothly with vsync (and maybe sometimes prolong battery life). However, when I apply the changes for 60Hz, the screen stays at 144Hz, no changes applied.

The only way I could make the laptop screen run at 60Hz was to connect our TV to it, but it being a laptop I wish for a more portable solution.
I welcome any ideas, and I'll ask [answer?] any questions.
Thanks!

csendo2

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
I gather that the screen is locked to 144Hz. Can you turn down game settings?
The 1050Ti it has isn't quite enough. Some games with low settings do however still run at 144Hz.
Also, as I mentioned, with a second display hooked up the transition between the two modes caused no problem.

csendo2

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
If both the TV and the laptop screen are the same resolution the the 1050ti should run the same fps on each if the game settings stay the same.
The experiment was on the desktop, TV ran at 1024x768 and laptop screen was running 1080p. During this test, the laptop screen could run both 60Hz and 144Hz.

csendo2

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
What "desktop"?
As in not in-game, but on the base Windows screen.
Anyway, I've been looking around recently, and found that the service required for transition between different refresh rates on ASUS laptops (RefreshRateSerivce.exe) is unable to start. I'm yet to figure out why, though my suspicion is that a Windows update in the past could have made it incompatible.

csendo2

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
No. Run it. And try Malwarebytes.
A few searches on google don't reveal much, I only found one thread where people had issues with the service not starting.
I ran a quick Defender scan, but it found nothing. I'm starting to think that I'll just have to wait for a new version release of this program.