[SOLVED] Unable to make FAT32 to NTFS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SadLandscape

Prominent
Jan 10, 2021
Title says all everytime I format it as NTFS it says sucessfully formated but when I eject it safely and plug it back it shows as a RAW file system. It's Samsung USB 3.0.

I'm scared of rufus tbh I lost another 8gb usb because of this, that's why I bought this. Ok let me try.
Edit: it doesn't let me choose FAT32 btw. Any suggestions?

Rufus does not physically harm flash drives. Flash drive is indifferent to file system as well. And flash drive appear as RAW in windows Disk Manager only if it is not formatted, lost partitioning OR does not have enough power to initialize. And I believe that last case is yours - eq. particular USB port in reality does not work well with that flash drive - either too low power output (current too low) for particular drive or you have chipset/driver problems in computer. Try to format that flash drive when it is connected to different USB port. Or in another computer. If it is still raw, try to make new partition table with DISKPART command line utility or something more serious like AOMEI Partition Assistant, EaseUS Partition Master or GParted.

SadLandscape

Prominent
Jan 10, 2021
Rufus does not physically harm flash drives. Flash drive is indifferent to file system as well. And flash drive appear as RAW in windows Disk Manager only if it is not formatted, lost partitioning OR does not have enough power to initialize. And I believe that last case is yours - eq. particular USB port in reality does not work well with that flash drive - either too low power output (current too low) for particular drive or you have chipset/driver problems in computer. Try to format that flash drive when it is connected to different USB port. Or in another computer.
I used quick format can it be the issue?
Thanks

Should not be. Quick format only rewrite information about files in drive (FAT, MFT or journal - depends from file system). Eq. very small portion of drive. Also because of small write amount quick format is best for flash drive and SSD longevity. Except if you want to wipe drive completely clean.

If that would be my drive, I would start to format it in different USB port or different computer.

SadLandscape

Prominent
Jan 10, 2021
Should not be. Quick format only rewrite information about files in drive (FAT, MFT or journal - depends from file system). Eq. very small portion of drive. Also because of small write amount quick format is best for flash drive and SSD longevity. Except if you want to wipe drive completely clean.

If that would be my drive, I would start to format it in different USB port or different computer.
Ok, diskpart successfully formats to NTFS using format fs=ntfs quick, but when I unplug then plug after manually ejecting, whenever I try to access it says the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. Windows explorer fails to format only way is using diskpart.
Thanks

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
USB drives are supposed to use FAT32, not NTFS. Even if NTFS was viable on such a small drive it would save you very little space.
FAT32 files cannot be bigger than 4 GB, and some movies are larger than that. And there isn't anything like USB drives are supposed to use FAT32, they can be NTFS formatted for the reason I mentioned, and I have drives formatted NTFS.

By the way, Rufus or Microsoft's Media Creation Tool both use FAT32, not NTFS. So if the reason for formatting NTFS is this, you don't need it.

SadLandscape

Prominent
Jan 10, 2021
FAT32 files cannot be bigger than 4 GB, and some movies are larger than that. And there isn't anything like USB drives are supposed to use FAT32, they can be NTFS formatted for the reason I mentioned, and I have drives formatted NTFS.

By the way, Rufus or Microsoft's Media Creation Tool both use FAT32, not NTFS. So if the reason for formatting NTFS is this, you don't need it.
Sorry...my bad.
I meant Disk Management.
No problem here: https://prnt.sc/yjy11y
btw my problem is kinda solved I was trying to make it bootable usb and I successed without making it NTFS.
Thank you all.

FAT will support up to 32GB USB drives, single files bigger than 4GB can use exFAT.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS