[SOLVED] Unable to move files from the HDD

peddintikartik

Commendable
May 22, 2018
Hello,
I ran into a strange issue today. I have two Disks on my laptop. One is an SSD (Windows) and the other is a 2TB HDD. Now what happens is if I try to open anything associated with the 2TB HDD the laptop does not respond and the task manager shows 100% utilization for the HDD. By the way, there is no operating system on my HDD. Even deleting a file that's 5MB is taking around 1 minute or so.

I tried moving a large file (around 1. 8 GB) from G drive to D drive (Both the volumes are on the HDD). It shows that it is going to take approximately 2hrs to complete and all of a sudden the file explorer says... Not responding. Any small operation on the HDD is making it go to 100% utilization. It is taking unbearable time to even open the disk management console.

Are these the signs that my HDD is dying?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
toms-hardware-forum-image.jpg

My Laptop's configuration:
Manufacturer: HP
CPU: i7-8550U
RAM: 8GB
SSD : WD Green 120GB
HDD: Seagate 2TB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 940MX 4GB

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday the drive temperature was around 47°C recorded by crystaldisk
Just by guessing, I can assume that temperature reading was not done in an extreme situation. If that assumption turns out to be true, then it indicates the drive must have being even hotter than that, maybe over time. And that would not be good for your disk health, and propably exceed the drive maximum operating temperature too.

peddintikartik

Commendable
May 22, 2018
Just by guessing, I can assume that temperature reading was not done in an extreme situation. If that assumption turns out to be true, then it indicates the drive must have being even hotter than that, maybe over time. And that would not be good for your disk health, and propably exceed the drive maximum operating temperature too.
Wow! that means the drive will slowly die. Should I get a new drive?

peddintikartik

Commendable
May 22, 2018
I tried running crystal disk mark to see the actual read, write speeds and the disk mark is preparing the test since 10 minutes on my HDD and the utilization is 100% and it never started the test!!!. On my SSD though it just ran really fast and quick. By the way, don't bother about the CPU and SSD speeds I'm running antivirus in the background to make sure that it is not caused by malware.
toms-hardware-forum-image-2.png