[SOLVED] Unable to open chrome/firefox

Evary

Commendable
Feb 25, 2019
As said in the title, when I open chrome/Firefox, they instantly crash. This does not happen on Microsoft edge.

I've tried running Malwarebytes in safe mode, disabling ipv6, shutting down programs that could interfere with them, reinstalling chrome, installing chrome (32 bits).

They work in safe mode, and they work for a few seconds right after booting up. Any ideas? I feel like other people are getting this issue too

Solution
I cannot open chrome, or Firefox, they instantly close

In your original post you said "they work for a few seconds " so I thought you'd have enough time. Anyhow, you can also launch Incognito mode by right-clicking the Chrome icon on your Taskbar.

However, you've said that you don't get this problem in Safe Mode so I've a feeling that my test won't help. It's worth a try though.

If you're moderately experienced then Process Monitor should help identify the nuisance responsible. Set it to capture "file system activity" only, start capturing, open Chrome, and when it closes, stop capturing. The resulting data set will be enormous (even though it's only been capturing for a couple of seconds) so it may take you a...

Colif

Win 11 Master

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Evary. I was asked to tackle this problem a few months ago and after much investigation I discovered that the culprit was the security software "Rapport" (also known as "Trusteer Endpoint Protection "). Nowadays it's considered more of a nuisance so you should uninstall it if you have it.

Evary

Commendable
Feb 25, 2019
Sorry for the late answer, I wasn't home. I have tried a clean boot, and removing the program.

A clean boot didn't solve the issue, and I don't have this program.

I really don't know what to do here, I am not finding anyone else having this problem.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
I cannot open chrome, or Firefox, they instantly close

In your original post you said "they work for a few seconds " so I thought you'd have enough time. Anyhow, you can also launch Incognito mode by right-clicking the Chrome icon on your Taskbar.

However, you've said that you don't get this problem in Safe Mode so I've a feeling that my test won't help. It's worth a try though.

If you're moderately experienced then Process Monitor should help identify the nuisance responsible. Set it to capture "file system activity" only, start capturing, open Chrome, and when it closes, stop capturing. The resulting data set will be enormous (even though it's only been capturing for a couple of seconds) so it may take you a while to spot what's causing Chrome to close.

Solution

Evary

Commendable
Feb 25, 2019

If you're moderately experienced then Process Monitor should help identify the nuisance responsible. Set it to capture "file system activity" only, start capturing, open Chrome, and when it closes, stop capturing. The resulting data set will be enormous (even though it's only been capturing for a couple of seconds) so it may take you a while to spot what's causing Chrome to close.
I can only open them for 2-3 seconds at startup, I tried opening an incognito tab, but it doesn't work.

I wasn't able to find anything wrong in the process monitor either.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, etc. that correspond with the browser crashes.

Reliability History is much more user friendly so start there. Right-clicking any given entry may provide more detail. However, that detail may or may not be directly helpful.