[SOLVED] Unable to overclock 9900k to 4.8

Solution
Hopefully you're aware of the extreme differences in thermal and stability stress test workloads. Utilities that don't overload or underload your processor will give you a valid thermal baseline. Here’s a comparison of utilities grouped as thermal and stability tests according to % of TDP, averaged across six processor Generations at stock settings rounded to the nearest 5%:

Although these tests range from 70% to 130% TDP workload, Windows Task Manager interprets every test as 100% CPU Utilization, which is processor resource activity, not actual workload. Core temperatures respond directly to Power consumption (Watts), which is driven by...
Jul 27, 2019
well, if it runs flawlessly without overclocks, and it crashes withoverclocks, you shouldn't overclock it, right? the best solution i could give you is: watercooling. overclocking a 9900k without watercooling isn't recommended. even though your cpu cooler is pretty beasty, watercooling still does outperform your aircooler.

Jul 28, 2019
Having difficulty overclocking a new 9900K. Using an MSI 390 Godlike motherboard, 32gb CorsairCMW32GX4M2C3200 DDR4 ram. System boots well, but freezes with high temps after 5 minutes of Prime95. Also needing quite high voltage @1.34 or so. Have I just lost the silicon lottery, or is there room for adjustment in my bios settings.

Thanks for any help!

Jon

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/jonrosenthal/library/BIOS SETTINGS HARDWARE MONITORING
Are you using Prime95 for stress testing exclusively? I have spent the last week trying to get a stable overclock and was about to exchange my 9600k because it fails small fft on the same core every single run within seconds. I downloaded every single stress test and benchmark I could find and nothing else fails. I finally just decided that Prime95 and AVX are just to much for MY 9th gen intel and run it at 5ghz @ 1.3 volts. I have yet to have a single stability issue. I would definitely take Prime95 small fft with a grain of salt.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Just to be clear for our members and readers, while Prime95 Small FFT's with AVX disabled is ideally suited for testing thermal performance, there are several other utilities that are better suited for testing stability, such as Asus RealBench. Many users are unaware that high temperature issues with Prime95 are strictly related to versions with AVX.

Running versions of Prime95 with AVX enabled imposes an unrealistic workload of nearly 130% which can adversely affect stability and severely overload your CPU.

As per Intel’s Datasheets, TDP and Thermal Specifications are validated “without AVX.

The latest version of Prime95, which is 29.8, allows AVX to be easily disabled. The Small FFT’s test without AVX conforms to Intel's Datasheets as a valid 100% TDP steady-state workload with steady non-fluctuating Core temperatures. No other utility can so closely replicate Intel's thermal test workload.

In Prime95 versions from 27.7 through 29.4, AVX can be disabled by inserting CpuSupportsAVX=0 into the local.txt file, which appears in Prime95's folder after the first run. However, since Core temperatures will be the same as 29.8 without AVX, it's easier to just use 29.8. You can also use 26.6 which doesn't have AVX

CT :sol:

Reactions: mikeyinid
Jul 28, 2019
Just to be clear for our members and readers, while Prime95 Small FFT's with AVX disabled is ideally suited for testing thermal performance, there are several other utilities that are better suited for testing stability, such as Asus RealBench. Many users are unaware that high temperature issues with Prime95 are strictly related to versions with AVX.

Running versions of Prime95 with AVX enabled imposes an unrealistic workload of nearly 130% which can adversely affect stability and severely overload your CPU.

As per Intel’s Datasheets, TDP and Thermal Specifications are validated “without AVX.

The latest version of Prime95, which is 29.8, allows AVX to be easily disabled. The Small FFT’s test without AVX conforms to Intel's Datasheets as a valid 100% TDP steady-state workload with steady non-fluctuating Core temperatures. No other utility can so closely replicate Intel's thermal test workload.

In Prime95 versions from 27.7 through 29.4, AVX can be disabled by inserting CpuSupportsAVX=0 into the local.txt file, which appears in Prime95's folder after the first run. However, since Core temperatures will be the same as 29.8 without AVX, it's easier to just use 29.8. You can also use 26.6 which doesn't have AVX

I personally use real bench and intel XTU benchmark and stress test. I find that while my system may be stable doing the stress test in XTU it can still fail doing the benchmark. The issue I’m having now is my oc is stable everywhere, but assassins creed odyssey crashes almost immediately. Only game I’m having an issue with. I have to pretty much run at stock clocks to get it to work. There are endless threads about this game crashing all over the web so I’m not sure it really has that much to do with my Oc.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Hopefully you're aware of the extreme differences in thermal and stability stress test workloads. Utilities that don't overload or underload your processor will give you a valid thermal baseline. Here’s a comparison of utilities grouped as thermal and stability tests according to % of TDP, averaged across six processor Generations at stock settings rounded to the nearest 5%:

Although these tests range from 70% to 130% TDP workload, Windows Task Manager interprets every test as 100% CPU Utilization, which is processor resource activity, not actual workload. Core temperatures respond directly to Power consumption (Watts), which is driven by workload.

Reactions: mikeyinid
Solution