[SOLVED] Unable to pass POST with dual channel ram

Sep 12, 2021
Hi

Just putting this out there to see if anyone has another other ideas or advice for a newbie to pc troubleshooting before i throw in the towel and buy new parts

Part list
Motherboard : Z270-E
CPU : I7-7700K
GPU : GTX 1080
RAM : Corsair 8GB 3000MHz 15-17-17-35 x2

so last week my system froze up and crashed while gaming at first i thought this temp based to took apart the PC and gave a really good clean and then placed everything back together but after doing this my system wouldn't get pass POST LED indicator on the board show a issue RAM (yellow light) so i removed both sticks placed back in making to hear the two clicks still didn't work i have tried with just one stick in slot A2 as instructed can get system to pass POST and boot up fully this happens with both sticks individually so know it isn't a issue with the RAM directly

i've cleared CMOS by removing battery and holding down power button

still getting same issue with dual ram, in slots A2 and B2 i've tried different configs so A1 & B1 and A2 & B1 still having same issue
with one stick i even set up XMP profile to give 3000MHz 15-17-17-35 and 1.35V with one stick this wokr and boot but as soon i place other stick in it refused to pass POST and shows indicator LED RAM issue

is this a issue with ram slot(s) or am i missing something i've spend a few hours on this forum and other places to get to the bottom of it and getting a mix bag of results

Solution
Hi

Just putting this out there to see if anyone has another other ideas or advice for a newbie to pc troubleshooting before i throw in the towel and buy new parts

Part list

so last week my system froze up and crashed while gaming at first i thought this temp based to took apart the PC and gave a really good clean and then placed everything back together but after doing this my system wouldn't get pass POST LED indicator on the board show a issue RAM (yellow light) so i removed both sticks placed back in making to hear the two clicks still didn't work i have tried with just one stick in slot A2 as instructed can get system to pass POST and...
Hi

Part list

so last week my system froze up and crashed while gaming at first i thought this temp based to took apart the PC and gave a really good clean and then placed everything back together but after doing this my system wouldn't get pass POST LED indicator on the board show a issue RAM (yellow light) so i removed both sticks placed back in making to hear the two clicks still didn't work i have tried with just one stick in slot A2 as instructed can get system to pass POST and boot up fully this happens with both sticks individually so know it isn't a issue with the RAM directly

i've cleared CMOS by removing battery and holding down power button

still getting same issue with dual ram, in slots A2 and B2 i've tried different configs so A1 & B1 and A2 & B1 still having same issue
with one stick i even set up XMP profile to give 3000MHz 15-17-17-35 and 1.35V with one stick this wokr and boot but as soon i place other stick in it refused to pass POST and shows indicator LED RAM issue

is this a issue with ram slot(s) or am i missing something i've spend a few hours on this forum and other places to get to the bottom of it and getting a mix bag of results
tried to clean the ram contacts, then update the motherboard bios to the latest? Just use 1 working stick and update the latest bios, and load defaluts/optimized after bios update, then use slot 2 and 4.

Solution
Sep 12, 2021
So i've clean contacts on all ram slots, the bios is on the latest version is it possible the bios version could be corrupted and need to redone?

as well i've changed RAM sticks from friend to double check it isnt RAM issue these being Corsair 16GB 3000MHz 15-17-17-35 x2 these had the same issue

Last edited: