Unable to Post

blocksmith

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017
I've just recently purchased an Intel DP55WB to go alongside my Xeon X3430 to put in a budget build. Now the CPU is listed to only support RAM speeds from 800-1333 Mhz. I've seen on a Youtube video (TechYesCity's video on his X3430 build) where he used 1600 Mhz RAM on a Gigabyte motherboard. I've yet to look up the supported RAM speeds on that motherboard but I know for a fact that my Intel one is only listed to support up to 1333.

I'm assuming the motherboard is the issue simply because I cannot even get into the BIOS. I jump the motherboard and everything loads up fine to the bios splash screen where in the bottom right it says:
BIOS Settings: <F2>
Boot Menu <F10>
and there's a couple more options listed after that don't quite matter yet in this situation.

Once I get to this screen I press the F2 key or the F10 key or any key on the keyboard for that matter, and nothing happens. After a minute or so with each key press there is a 1 second beep after the key press. The BIOS never loads even after waiting for at least an hour.

I've tried clearing the CMOS, re-seating the CPU, re-seating the heatsink, plugging in extra fans, trying both of my RAM sticks in the 1st slot (will beep 3 times without at least 1 stick installed not even getting to the splash screen), and sadly I don't have any DDR3 RAM slower than 1600. I can't get into the BIOS to underclock the RAM and I don't feel like running out to buy new RAM only to find out that it ALSO won't post.

Please help me with this ASAP because if the motherboard is bricked I'd like to issue for a refund on eBay.

Solution
The problem maybe 1) The MB may not have the newer BIOS for the x3430. Because you can't boot the PC so that it is hard to tell. If you had other cpu, and try it out. 2) The RAM may not be compatible with the MB. Check the link to see what size and how many chips on your RAM, like if you had the 2GB RAM, which will have to have 8 chips on single sided. If the RAM is 8Gb, it have to have 16 chips on double sided. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006516/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html 3) What is your GPU and the PSU?
The problem maybe 1) The MB may not have the newer BIOS for the x3430. Because you can't boot the PC so that it is hard to tell. If you had other cpu, and try it out. 2) The RAM may not be compatible with the MB. Check the link to see what size and how many chips on your RAM, like if you had the 2GB RAM, which will have to have 8 chips on single sided. If the RAM is 8Gb, it have to have 16 chips on double sided. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006516/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html 3) What is your GPU and the PSU?

Solution

blocksmith

Prominent
Dec 20, 2017

The RAM I’m using has 8 chips per stick on one side only. The other is just a green PCB with nothing on it. The graphics card is an AMD Powercolor R7 250 which is just temporarily the display adapter for this build. The PSU is an 80+ Gold 1000W ATNG (model number APED-1150FC-GO).

The PSU has been used in another system with a 6800K and a GTX 1080 and powers everything fine, so I doubt that’s the issue.