Unable to reach max speed on Asus RT-68U

Nov 6, 2018
Hi,

I now upgraded to a 1000Mb (download)/100Mb (upload) connection.
With the generic, flimsy router I got from my ISP I reach 950/96 speeds, but with the expensive router I had for a long time now I only reach 250/96 speeds. Have no idea why.

It might be because the CPU on the router is maxing out while speed testing, but this router supports these speeds (I'm using a wired connection).

I would appreciate your help with this.

Thank you

Solution
Make very sure you have it factory reset and only do a very minimal configuration. Set the passwords on the router and the wifi and leave everything else default.

That router like almost all routers when tested for lan/wan throughput on the testing sites gets in the 900mbps+ range.

The key problem when you have a very fast internet connection is that to get the router to run that fast they moved the NAT function to a hardware accelerator. This means the traffic bypasses the cpu chip. The reason this is a problem is that many of the advanced...or even simple..function on the router require the CPU chip to touch the data. If you disable the hardware accelerator the NAT is done by the CPU and you get rates similar to what you...
Nov 6, 2018

I tried disabling all of them, but not a reset yet. Might try it - but was hoping some other owner of this router might be familiar with this issue.

Make very sure you have it factory reset and only do a very minimal configuration. Set the passwords on the router and the wifi and leave everything else default.

That router like almost all routers when tested for lan/wan throughput on the testing sites gets in the 900mbps+ range.

The key problem when you have a very fast internet connection is that to get the router to run that fast they moved the NAT function to a hardware accelerator. This means the traffic bypasses the cpu chip. The reason this is a problem is that many of the advanced...or even simple..function on the router require the CPU chip to touch the data. If you disable the hardware accelerator the NAT is done by the CPU and you get rates similar to what you are seeing. I know my asus router will not even display the usage stats correctly with the hardware assist feature on.

Pretty much on very fast internet connection cheap routers will do just as much as fancy ones because you can't use the features. This of course does not apply to the wifi since those are different chips and there are difference in the wifi feature between routers.

Solution
Nov 6, 2018
Indeed favtory resetting the router fixed the issue. Now it reaches 890Mb speeds, but it seems like the CPU (only one of the cores) maxes out when testing the speed, so I wonder if it can do more.