Unable to read sectors on a device!

raredudex

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
When i was formatting one of my laptops, i forgot that my external hard drive is still plugged to the system so as i was trying to format, i mistakely deleted my external hard drive patition ever since then i have not being able to access all the files in my external drive. I letter came acroos a software called active@ partition recovery. i bought it and used superscan to scan my external hard drive yet it could not solve the problem instead its showing me this message; "unable to read sectors on a device". please help if you have a solution to it.

rwgwiccan

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Well the problem here seems to be the fact that you deleted the partition which for all intents and purposes basically deletes all the information on the drive. I would suggest using a data recovery tool rather than a partition recovery tool. You could try Recuva or another data recovery tool as long as you have not rewritten any information to those drives.

raredudex

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
1. First all, thanks y'all for all your contributions. but i waited for solution but it come on time and there was no way i could access my drive without formatting it, so i have formatted it now but all my files are gone. I remove the external drive from the jacket and fix in my laptop as internal hard disk. my computer can now see it as external hard disk only that all i can see now are windows files. Please can i still recover my files they are very important and they worth thousands of dollars thanks.

2. My second hard disk is no longer opening. When i plugged to my PC, my computer will identify that a disk has been plugged but it will not specify it and if i go to my computer i will not see it. But when i go to disk management; then i will receive a message like this;
disk 1
unknown
Not initialized.
then I'll right click and select initialize, I'll receive "Incorrect function"
the size of the disk is 320 GB.

Please help if you have the solution.
Once again i thank Inzone and Rwgwiccan for the contributions.
you guys are the best. thanks