Unable to Refresh OS after Win 8.1 install- drive is locked???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astralv

Distinguished
After 48 hours of troubleshooting the Windows 8.1 installation that knocked out USB drivers and made computer unusable, I gave up and decided to "Refresh" the OS from DVD. It was supposed to reinstall OS Win. 8 without affecting personal files. When I attempted, it stated, "Your drive is locked. Please, unlock the drive and try again". What does it mean- my drive is locked? It appears that Win 8.1 did something weird, making it impossible to return back to 8.0. Did anybody ever heard about locked drive containing OS? I am wondering if it will say the same when I try to clean install Win 8.0. Thank you.

you can check if the drive partition has been marked readonly
start cmd.exe
run diskpart.exe
then issue the following commands
list volume
select volume #
attribute disk clear readonly <-- this command will clear the readonly state if you really want to do that

or you can display the disk attributes
for example
select volume 1
attribute disk (will display the read-only state)

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you for your reply. It is gone now. I reinstalled Windows 8.0 from beginning. Now I realize how much work I put in to this computer over last 5 months. Now I have to start all over- it does not even have Internet driver. I am glad- USBs are working.

I am seriously considering to install Win 8.1 soon as I get on line, after I install all drivers. Yes, I know- after my experience- I should not, but... eventually I will have to install it. I do not want to establish everything, make everything work right and then have to reinstall and run in to the same problems. If I do it now- I have nothing to lose, I may as well try to make Win 8.1 work... What you think?

that is what I would do. your bios is up to date.
you might turn off any usb charger and be sure to add the custom ASUS usb drivers for your board right after the install.

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you for all your help, guys! I am at Motherboards forum now, trying to figure out what drivers I need to install. Wondering if I have to install any drivers for Win 8.0 if I am planning to proceed to Win 8.1? They are different release numbers for 8 and 8.1. I may just install LAN driver to get on line and then install Win. 8.1 and then all the other drivers for 8.1. I am just worrying about USB drivers and I don't see them on Asus web site. See my drivers thread here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1849228/drivers-motherboard-windows-support.html#11763206 Thank you again for your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.