Unable to rename files windows 10??

MrITguy

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
I did some googling on this one. I tried what i found on this and tried them. And didn't work. I tried going through registry. That didn't work. And i don't want to do the command line one. Because that would be to complicated for the end user.

My senerio.
Have a windows 10 machine connected to a domain. Person scan's from printer to local machine. The local machine has a folder on the c drive to scan to. Printer is able to scan to the local machine with no issue. I have gave full control permissions to the folder to user and etc.

But when the user goes to the folder and tries to rename the document. It won't allow the user to change the name of the document. But if copy that same document to her document's folder. (which sits on the server). She is able to rename it. But when trying to rename it on that shared folder on the c drive. She can't rename it.

Could this be an update from Microsoft causing this issue? I don't think it's a permission issue. But not a 100% because this is the only user that has windows 10 without admin right's. But user still has full control of the folder through permission i gave it.

P.S. User doesn't get an error code when trying to rename the document.

MrITguy

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014

The reason I don't do this is because of security reasons. I don't want to open this port on the server to allow this.

MrITguy

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014

The printer does use SMB. But the other i can't have scanned to the server. I just remember. Is because we have a clouded software that doesn't recolonized our mapped drives. (Which uses citrix) Their constantly having to upload files to this software. That's why it's setup originally to a folder on the c drive.

If the user has correct permissions to the local folder then I don't know what to suggest. Remember that deny permissions will override allow permissions.

I still don't see why you can't send the scanned files to a share on the server. This would make troubleshooting and administration far easier for you, but it's your call.

MrITguy

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
So come to find out. It was a windows update that threw off renaming files. I'm not sure which one it was. But after Windows updated again. The user was able to rename files again. Their goes Microsoft breaking things again.