[SOLVED] Unable to restore HP workstation

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I have an HP Z440 workstation that was recently retired, and all drives wiped clean. I am now going to try to set up as a home use desktop.
The problem I am running into is that when I try to start the restore process using the provided 3 DVD's. It starts the Windows 7 Pro install process, but errors out at the grey HP home screen with the message "Failed to change working directory. " I know the DVD's work as I recently used them to successfully restore an HPZ400.
What I am wondering is if due to extensive wiping of the drives if there is even any way that I can even consider using the restore DVD's or get to the recovery area at all. I tried even using my original Win 7 Pro CD, but it could locate media drivers to even get that going. If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Solution
Also could it be causing any conflicts with the restore process that the hard drives are set to RAID, and should I go int set up and change to non RAID.
RAID arrays are PIA for system / OS volume. Cheapest 120GB SSDs can be had for like $25 - get one of these, install fresh Windows on it, and then use the RAID as a storage.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
If your workstation has a label on the prebuilt that has the license key on it, you can use that to download the ISO/installer from Microsoft's support site. Also, you might want to check other OSes like Windows 8 and/or 10.
Okay. Got it. There is the sticker with my product key. I have never done this particular step before, but can try. Also could it be causing any conflicts with the restore process that the hard drives are set to RAID, and should I go int set up and change to non RAID. Thanks again.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Thanks. I was thinking about that. The only thing is that even then I don't know if it will work as the specific drivers for the 440 are gone and when I try to run the restore media I get the failed to change working directory error.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Got it. Thanks. So I went ahead and and did the Windows 10 media creation tool on a USB drive. I want to go ahead and do a clean install and hoping that it will recognize the activated Windows 7 professional 64 bit product key. It has been a while since I did this so want to make sure I do it correctly. Thanks again.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
TBH, I would probably try to install Win 10 Pro and use the key on the sticker on case. Up at least until very recently this has been working fine. Much will depend on that original keys origin/license.

edit- also agree with the above to utilize an SSD for OS rather than the array.

TRENDING THREADS