Question Unable to resume a suspended process ?

hifinoob

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
Hello,

I'm unable to resume a suspended process. When I try with resource monitor, process hacker/explorer, it says Access denied.
Process is Waves NX. After the update the default audio devices were mixed up.
Other Waves NX processes work, and the software itself works with audio/video players if I select it, it's just I can't access to the interface, which the suspended program is responsible for, WavesNxApp.exe.

Reinstalled Waves, rebooted, etc, same issue.

Happened just after updating Windows 10 Pro x64 from 1909 18363.1198
to 2004 19041.1023.

Whitelisted Waves in AV software.
Uninstalled the updates that windows would let uninstall. except the version update, same issue.

There's a 2nd os installed on another drive, without the updates, Waves works fine, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Last edited:

hifinoob

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
NX made by Waves

I wonder if anyone on their forums has an answer: https://forum.waves.com/
version 21H1 of WIn 10 is out, although I would be surprised if it fixed it.

It's more a windows issue than anything else. Surely there must be a way to override the suspend status.

I already asked, even support, no answer yet.

Windows will not update more than what it currently is at. How do I force it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I assume you tried right clicking the suspended process and chose resume. That would be too easy though.

You could do a clean boot and then after the steps, enable Wave NX again and see if it works, as it might be a conflict with something else
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Windows will not update more than what it currently is at. How do I force it?

click on 1st link here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 - it will download upgrade assistant
run it and it will check to see if you can update to win 10 21H1

hifinoob

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
I assume you tried right clicking the suspended process and chose resume. That would be too easy though.

You could do a clean boot and then after the steps, enable Wave NX again and see if it works, as it might be a conflict with something else
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

click on 1st link here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 - it will download upgrade assistant
run it and it will check to see if you can update to win 10 21H1

Did a clean boot but waves is still not starting.
Since it was working before the update with other services, I don't think they were causing the issue, i.e a conflict.

Also updated the 2nd os to the latest 21H1 / 19043.1023, same issue, Waves dissapeared after 2004.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So how much ram do you have? One reason for apps to be suspended is a lack of free ram. Link

so clean boot shows its not another program. It might be another driver still but difficult to confirm as we can't run it in safe mode as no drivers work there. I would have though Waves NX have run it on newer versions of win 10 or they would have said.

Can you tell me what parts are in your PC?
It might need an updated driver for something else.

hifinoob

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
So how much ram do you have? One reason for apps to be suspended is a lack of free ram. Link

so clean boot shows its not another program. It might be another driver still but difficult to confirm as we can't run it in safe mode as no drivers work there. I would have though Waves NX have run it on newer versions of win 10 or they would have said.

Can you tell me what parts are in your PC?
It might need an updated driver for something else.

But why would it be a driver if it just happened after updating to 2004? The update doesn't contain drivers, right?
This seems like a wild goose chase.

The pc has 16gb of ram, no shortage. The other parts are i5 8400, 2 ssd, 2 planar hdd, 1 nvme, ASUS TUF B360-Plus Gaming, Gtx 1060, Xonar GTX. All drivers are up to date.

Regardless of windows versions and drivers, how can a program be suspended if permission is denied?

And as I wrote in the first post, the software is functional, it shows up in video players, can be selected, and it works. It's just the exe, the interface that is not working.
As it's also written in the first post, after the the 2004 update and the other large one, the system had selected waves as the primary audio device, so that's where the conflict is probably coming from. I just don't know how to fix it.

LE:
Nx is still active in audio control panel.

https://ibb.co/sRNcxpj

Last edited:

hifinoob

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
Update
GUI is not visible. As mentioned before, Waves can be selected as an audio device, and the effect is there.

It happened right after updating to windows version 2004.

On another hdd there is a copy of the os for testing purposes.

On it I:

updated to latest os version, drivers, uninstalled all av/mallware, clean boot, disable startup programs from task manager, removed the xonar card and used the onboard sound card, deleted all waves files/registry, reinstalled waves.

After each update I looked if waves is still loading, and it stopped loading exactly after the 2004 update.

Windows is unable to roll back the update and there is no restore point.

After the 2004 update it had reset the audio devices in some players and windows.

There's no screenshot to send since waves is not loading.

In Resource monitor it shows WavesNX as beeing suspended in 2004, and terminated in the last update. It says access denied when trying to resume or terminate it.

In Event viewer there are some error messages that were not there before, on 2004 and latest version. I will post two of them.

Faulting application name: WavesNxApp.exe, version: 1.0.18.0, time stamp: 0x5b4c163b
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1023, time stamp: 0x924f9cdb
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000034b89
Faulting process id: 0x16e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d75801ab744a5f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WavesNx55\bin\WavesNxApp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 6ce196ab-bb0e-46fd-9ced-20b014db9df1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Version 0

Level 2

Task 100

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2021-06-02T22:50:22.7839256Z

EventRecordID 1467

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 0
[ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer

Security

- EventData

WavesNxApp.exe
5b4c163b
KERNELBASE.dll
924f9cdb
e0434352
0000000000034b89
16e4
01d75801ab744a5f
C:\Program Files\WavesNx55\bin\WavesNxApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
6ce196ab-bb0e-46fd-9ced-20b014db9df1

- System

- Provider

[ Name] .NET Runtime

- EventID 1026

[ Qualifiers] 0

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2021-06-02T22:50:22.6902014Z

EventRecordID 1466

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 0
[ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

Computer

Security

- EventData

Application: WavesNxApp.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.ArithmeticException Exception Info: System.OverflowException at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap.FinalizeCreation() at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.CreateCachedBitmap(System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrame, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSourceSafeMILHandle, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCreateOptions, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCacheOption, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapPalette) at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrameDecode.FinalizeCreation() at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.SetupFrames(System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder, System.Collections.ObjectModel.ReadOnlyCollection`1<System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrame>) at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.get_Frames() at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapFrame.CreateFromUriOrStream(System.Uri, System.Uri, System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCreateOptions, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCacheOption, System.Net.Cache.RequestCachePolicy) at System.Windows.Media.ImageSourceConverter.ConvertFrom(System.ComponentModel.ITypeDescriptorContext, System.Globalization.CultureInfo, System.Object) at MS.Internal.Xaml.Runtime.ClrObjectRuntime.CallProvideValue(System.Windows.Markup.MarkupExtension, System.IServiceProvider) Exception Info: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.RewrapException(System.Exception, System.Xaml.IXamlLineInfo, System.Uri) at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(System.Xaml.XamlReader, System.Xaml.IXamlObjectWriterFactory, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriterSettings, System.Uri) at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(System.Xaml.XamlReader, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.Permissions.XamlAccessLevel, System.Uri) at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext, System.Object, Boolean) at WavesNXApp.Dialogs.MsgBox..ctor(System.String, MsgBoxType) at WavesNXApp.AppHelper.ShowMsgBox(System.Windows.Window, System.String, MsgBoxType) at WavesNXApp.AppHelper.ErrorHandler(System.Exception, Boolean) at WavesNXApp.App.App_Startup(System.Object, System.Windows.StartupEventArgs) at System.Windows.Application.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs) at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl() at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object) at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr) at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame) at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object) at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window) at WavesNXApp.App.Main()

Colif

Win 11 Master
version updates can include drivers. so I was just checking. I wasn't trying to waste your time.

It seems you are right but then why did no one else on the Wave NX forums have same problem if it is windows. No one else on win 10?

You can't reinstall 1909, windows will w ant to update as its out of date now, Micrososft only support the last 3 versions of win 10 at any time.
You might get an answer on https://www.tenforums.com/ - its where I go if I can't work anything out. Them or https://superuser.com/

hifinoob

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
version updates can include drivers. so I was just checking. I wasn't trying to waste your time.

It seems you are right but then why did no one else on the Wave NX forums have same problem if it is windows. No one else on win 10?

You can't reinstall 1909, windows will w ant to update as its out of date now, Micrososft only support the last 3 versions of win 10 at any time.
You might get an answer on https://www.tenforums.com/ - its where I go if I can't work anything out. Them or https://superuser.com/

I did post on tenforums, no answer.

Was trying to see if the errors in event viewer were present in before 2004 version, so I installed a new windows installation and starting updating it. It skipped 2004 directly to 20h2. Then updated to the latest.
Waves runs fine.

So I assume it's something in 2004.

Is there a way to update only to 2004 to test it out?

But not going to switch to a new os, rather use waves the way it is.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

That will give you the latest version and you won't need to touch 2004 ever again.

Clearly there is a bug in 2004 that is fixed in 2009 (otherwise known as 20H2) and that is what you are running into.

I would (unless last clean install was on C) just use a new installer and clean install 21H1, and skip 2004 . You probably need to clean install to fix whatever it is. It must be a registry setting since it keeps happening after you install 2004 and then upgrade it to 2009, registry settings and user details and drivers are about only thing kept of windows when you do a version update.

Best people to test if there is a conflict between 2004 & Waves NX would have been their forums, not you.

hifinoob

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

That will give you the latest version and you won't need to touch 2004 ever again.

Clearly there is a bug in 2004 that is fixed in 2009 (otherwise known as 20H2) and that is what you are running into.

I would (unless last clean install was on C) just use a new installer and clean install 21H1, and skip 2004 . You probably need to clean install to fix whatever it is. It must be a registry setting since it keeps happening after you install 2004 and then upgrade it to 2009, registry settings and user details and drivers are about only thing kept of windows when you do a version update.

Best people to test if there is a conflict between 2004 & Waves NX would have been their forums, not you.

Problem is I don't want to loose the current windows setup even at the cost of not beeing able to use full functionality of waves.

Did two more things, created a new user with admin priv, but waves does not work there either.

Waves also sets itself as primary audio device after each startup, which did not do before.

New installation with 2004 directly (1904.264), after which installed drivers, audio card drivers, and then waves.
Waves works.

I don't know windows well enough to figure out what's going on.
Maybe when 2004 was updated there was some kind of configuration issue with audio devices, which is why the system is suspending it.