Unable to run chkdsk /r on secondary D drive

G

Hello!

I have a tiny question about checkdisk on a secondary drive: How come that when I try to perform a chkdsk from "My computer" in Windows 10 by using the "properties" section when right clicking on a drive in my computer, I am given the options of checking and repairing if I try to do it on my C drive. But if I try to do the same on me D drive, my secondary HDD that doesn't have the OS on it, I am not given any options and Windows only checks it quickly (few seconds) and says it has no errors? I am never given the /r option when trying to run chkdsk on my secondary HDD. I checked the event log and it didn't check for bad sectors in that quick chkdsk.

I also tried using it from cmd. Here it gives the following error:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)

What is this? What should I do here? If I choose "no", it asks if I want to perform the chkdsk on restart. If I choose to do that, it simply tells my that isn't possible.

I don't understand why I am unable to perform a chkdsk /r on a drive that hasn't the OS on it.

Thanks very much for reading!

Solution
you have to include the option "/x" to force the operation on your drive. meaning it will dismount the drive during its scan. if that doesnt work, you can try third-party programs. i have my favorite ones with minitool and easus partition master.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
you have to include the option "/x" to force the operation on your drive. meaning it will dismount the drive during its scan. if that doesnt work, you can try third-party programs. i have my favorite ones with minitool and easus partition master.

Solution
G

Nice to know! So you write chkdsk /r /x : d (I had to include the spacing before D or it would make it into a smiley haha)

am I right?

Thanks for the reply :) I wanted to run chkdsk because my computer had to be restarted by force yesterday.