Question Unable to Search the Contents of a PDF in Outlook

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
I've been stumped on figuring out how to be able to search for a string of text within a PDF attachment that has been sent or received in Outlook version 1905 (Build 11629).
I have tried repairing Office 365 online, installing Adobe iFilter 64 link to download, Foxit iFilter, enabling the legacy Windows Indexing Service within the "turn Windows features on or off", all to no avail.
The system I'm on is running Windows 7 Professional.

D

Deleted member 14196

save the attachment to your documents folder and open it with adobe reader and search away. you can't use office for that

D

Deleted member 14196

probably because EDGE can read pdfs. time to upgrade. it does NOT work on win10 by default, you need a file viewer for it installed in Outlook as an extension most likely

D

Deleted member 14196

that's not the correct answer, it says you just need to install Adobe or some PDF reader to the host, then Outlook can get to it, I am testing that now.

D

Deleted member 14196

yes. it looks like in Adobe you can go to Edit->Preferences and choose to enable PDF Thumbnail viewing. that might work. I guess without Adobe you can't use that feature and I am not living with adobe, EDGE is fine for me.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
if you have acrobat installed, you need the iFilter installed for Outlook.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5542

I am going to test it. maybe i will have to live with adobe.

Update, Tested. IT WORKS!

1. close outlook
  2. install the link i gave you above
  3. start up outlook
  4. preview and text search should both work! It did on my box
Update:
I've installed the Adobe iFilter for Windows 7 64 bit and while it does work within Windows Explorer, it still doesn't work within Outlook 32 or 64 bit edition. It however did work on Outlook 2010 32 bit installed on Windows 7 64 bit oddly enough.

TRENDING THREADS