Question Unable to see shared files from windows 10 with other devices

sklappen12

Honorable
Dec 18, 2017
Hi, so before windows 10 my main pc had windows 7, and through it we would share files with other systems in the house, mainly the living room TV to watch movies for example. From an external hard drive plugged to our pc, we just shared the folder "movies" and were able to access them from the TV. Now once we upgraded to windows 10, the only devices that can access the shared files, are my brother's laptop and mine which have windows 10. Our TV no longer sees the shared folders. We've tried few youtube videos, but with no success. Thank you very much. For what I have been reading it seems Microsoft has managed to grab something simple as home networks in previous Windows versions, and made it extremely complicated.
Santiago

Are you using Homegroup to try and share files? Because if so, Homegroup has been removed from Windows 10, so you have to use actual file sharing settings, on both devices, in order to share.

The fact that you HAD Windows 7 may complicate things. I had trouble with file sharing on a system that HAD Windows 7 but was upgraded to Windows 10 and THEN upgraded to a newer version of Windows 10 that got rid of Homegroup. It would NOT work, no matter what, until I did a CLEAN install of Windows 10. You can however try this:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-share-files-and-printers-without-homegroup-windows-10

sklappen12

Honorable
Dec 18, 2017
Are you using Homegroup to try and share files? Because if so, Homegroup has been removed from Windows 10, so you have to use actual file sharing settings, on both devices, in order to share.

The fact that you HAD Windows 7 may complicate things. I had trouble with file sharing on a system that HAD Windows 7 but was upgraded to Windows 10 and THEN upgraded to a newer version of Windows 10 that got rid of Homegroup. It would NOT work, no matter what, until I did a CLEAN install of Windows 10. You can however try this:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-share-files-and-printers-without-homegroup-windows-10
Interesting. We did however had to clean the computer all the way to zero, and then installed windows 10. I honestly don't know if I'm using homegroup. I think what I'm doing is the old school right click - share files