Unable to set AGP speed in SmartGart

I have been unable to set a AGP speed in the display/smartgart menu. I
have tried resetting the bios (Gigabyte MB) from auto to 4X to see if that
would help, but it just resets itself to off in the ATI display menu.
Actually, if the bios setting is set to 4X, does the display setting even
matter?

John

Forgot to mention, this is a ATI9800 pro 128 with the 4.3 cats, running
with XP home.

"John Fitzpatrick" <jfitzpa@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have been unable to set a AGP speed in the display/smartgart menu. I
> have tried resetting the bios (Gigabyte MB) from auto to 4X to see if that
> would help, but it just resets itself to off in the ATI display menu.
> Actually, if the bios setting is set to 4X, does the display setting even
> matter?

John

"John Fitzpatrick" <jfitzpa@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have been unable to set a AGP speed in the display/smartgart menu. I
> have tried resetting the bios (Gigabyte MB) from auto to 4X to see if that
> would help, but it just resets itself to off in the ATI display menu.
> Actually, if the bios setting is set to 4X, does the display setting even
> matter?

John

Hi,

Make sure you have your chipset drivers loaded.
That can cause this problem.

Regards

Ian

Thanks for the reminder! I had just installed a new HD and never
gave a thought to reinstalling the chipsets. Unfortunately, it didn't solve
my problem. I wonder if installing XP and all the other drivers before the
chipset drivers is the problem and a reinstall of XP should be done.

John
"IanUKNet" <ianuknet@msn.com> wrote in message

> "John Fitzpatrick" <jfitzpa@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I have been unable to set a AGP speed in the display/smartgart menu.
> > have tried resetting the bios (Gigabyte MB) from auto to 4X to see if
that
> > would help, but it just resets itself to off in the ATI display menu.
> > Actually, if the bios setting is set to 4X, does the display setting
even
> > matter?
> >

> John
> >

> Hi,
>
> Make sure you have your chipset drivers loaded.
> That can cause this problem.
>
> Regards
>
> Ian

Well, I have noticed that running DXDIAG, I get the message that
'AGP Texture Acceleration is not available', so there is a problem
somewhwere.

John

John Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Well, I have noticed that running DXDIAG, I get the message that
> 'AGP Texture Acceleration is not available', so there is a problem
> somewhwere.

Yeah, sounds like your GART driver ain't right.

I would double check the driver for your "AGP to PCI host bridge" (something
like that - might start with your chipset and or chipset manufacturer and be
called something similar) or GART or wahtever is from your chipset
manufacturer not MS, and then reinstall the Cats.

Turning off fastwrites (not on an XT) has also helped many - what is your
chipset?

Ben

This has become baffling. Sandra2004 reports that the AGP bus is
disabled.

> Well, I have noticed that running DXDIAG, I get the message that
> 'AGP Texture Acceleration is not available', so there is a problem
> somewhwere.

Just a thought - you haven't somehow set your hardware acceleration slider
to 'none' ?

Cheers

Ian

No, I've checked that. Ran Sandra2004 last night and got the reply that
the AGP bus is disabled. Have no idea what that is all about. Totally
baffled.

> "John Fitzpatrick" <jfitzpa@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Well, I have noticed that running DXDIAG, I get the message that
> > 'AGP Texture Acceleration is not available', so there is a problem
> > somewhwere.
> >

> Just a thought - you haven't somehow set your hardware acceleration slider
> to 'none' ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ian

hi,

If you have a motherboard using the via chipset, try reinstalling the
hyperion drivers from www.viaarena.com

i had this problem also and reinstalling these drivers done the trick
for me :)

hope this helps.....