[SOLVED] Unable to set new SSD Drive as the bootable drive under Windows 10

Aug 24, 2020
I'm surprise I'm having much trouble with this. I'm thinking I'm missing a step somewhere.

I have a Sager Laptop running Windows 10 Pro with all of the latest patches and updates.

The OS (C:\) currently lives on Samsung V-NAND SSD 860 EVO SATA M.2 500 GB and want to upgrade to the same version, except the size is a 2 TB drive, as I'm running out of room for VMs.

I've used EaseUS Todo to clone from the old disk to the new disk and no issues.

When I plug the new SSD into the laptop, not able to boot off of it, in order to load Windows 10 OS.

I go into the BIOS/UEFI, which is Aptio v2.20.1271 and the new SSD isn't showing up. I currently have two SSD Drives in this laptop. Once is m.2 SSD (500 GB) and the other is a Samsung SSD 2.5 Inch 500 GB. Matter of fact, the other drive doesn't appear under the bootable drives under the BIOS. And doesn't have all of the extra partitions like C:\ (450 MB partition, 100 MB EFI System Partition and 516 Recovery Partition, along with the C:\ partition).

Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can get this successfully setup?

thanks

Solution
As always I will quote here for great cloning instructions:

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the Target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
As always I will quote here for great cloning instructions:

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the Target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Correct.

This external M.2 SATA port only has one port.

The laptop motherboard has two ports, AFAIK.
Ok, given an external USB thing that can accept this new drive, use the Samsung Data Migration tool.

Install the SDM on the current 500GB.
Connect the new larger Samsung tot he external thing.
Run the migration tool.

When it is finished, remove the 500GB and install the new one.
This should work.

Reactions: software_d00d
Aug 24, 2020
Thanks for the help, it worked. I was able to upgrade the m.2 SSD from 500 GB to 2 TB. Won't run out of room now for all of the VMs that I have.

I haven't worked with SSD before, however once using the Samsung migration tool and following the directions, it was fairly easy.

Reactions: USAFRet